Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to the Drudge Report App?

App was working, now it is not and no longer available in the App Store.

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 7:28 AM

138 replies

Apr 5, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Uni_soulja

Submissions

...do not add Submissions about non technical topics, including:

1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
    2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

if you have any questions please see the terms you and everyone else on this forum agreed to when signing up.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5952

Nov 12, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Bill Trask

Thank you for using the Apple Forums. We are fellow mac users like yourself who volunteer to help you!

If you have a question about an Apple product or service please see this link

Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

If you need to contact Apple Computer you can call them at 1-800-MY-APPLE

If you have a question regarding the terms you agreed to when you signed up to use this forum see this link

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

If you would like to leave feedback for Apple Computer go to

www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 8, 2019 12:26 PM in response to Hornett99

Unlock your iOS device

swipe down on the touch screen to open the search function

type "safari" without the quotations

when the application opens type the website in the URL bar using the format

http://<WEBSITE.DOMAIN>

press the Go button

Apple does not develop 3rd party applcations for developers.

if you wish to develop apps for iOS see this link

https://developer.apple.com/programs/

thank you for using the Apple Discussions Forum.

Mar 6, 2019 6:02 AM in response to claude230

It would be even more concerning if the US Government decides to take away the rights of private companies to protect their employees in violation of the United States National Labor Relations Act of 1935, but this is not the case.

If you wish to look into this on your own time, but this forum is not for political discourse. See the terms you agreed to when you signed up to use this forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5952

Feb 23, 2019 2:33 PM in response to doug Davies

Why do you think this forum is a good place to find the answer? It's a user to user forum. Apple does not participate. Who do you think can provide an answer here?

What we know:

• Multiple people have asked Drudge. They have not replied.
  • Matt Drudge is not shy; he is happy to attack anyone who he feels has slighted him. But he has not said a word on this subject, and the app has been gone for the better part of a year.
  • It's disappearance more or less coincided with Apple requiring that apps be updated to 64 bits to be supported by iOS 12.
  • Apple has not said anything. Normally if Apple pulls an app, especially a sensitive one, they say why.
  • If you had the app previously installed Drudge stopped updating its data feed last summer.
  • Last summer Drudge redesigned its site to be "responsive" - that is, to adapt to the device it was viewed on, specifically targeting mobile devices

That's all we have to go on. So to speculate, here are a few possibilities:

• Drudge didn't want to go the expense of continuing to pay whatever developer they subcontracted the development to ( can't picture Matt Drudge as a coder).
  • With the site redesign Drudge felt that a separate app was unnecessary. And to work with the new site the app would have to be completely redesigned. (See the previous bullet)
  • Drudge decided that Apple users are not his target market.
  • The app was secretly stealing user's data. Apple would have either pulled it for this, or would have told Drudge to stop doing so (see bullet 1). Note that Google is not good a policing the Play Store, and the Android App could still be stealing user data.
  • It's unlikely that Apple would have pulled it for political reasons, because there are several apps in the App Store that have similar functionality to the missing app that include Drudge syndications, as well as other conservative-leaning apps. Likewise Apple has not blocked Safari from viewing the Drudge Report.

But it's unlikely that there will ever be a definitive answer.

Mar 12, 2019 12:22 PM in response to coloradogold

What is everyone doing to access the Drudge Report? Why would Apple delete from the App store? Why isn’t Apple explaining their action?
  1. Use Safari.
  2. There is no indication that Apple removed it. The Drudge Report improved their mobile website. There's a good possiblity that they didn't feel a need to continue supporting the app. Do you honestly believe they would be silent if Apple had required them to remove the app.
  3. This is a user-to-user forum. Apple doesn't explain anything here.

Now, my question for you: Did you bother to read the other four pages of this thread before posting?

Mar 12, 2019 12:29 PM in response to coloradogold

Probably because Apple didn't delete the app. So they have nothing to explain. Now I realize that Matt Drudge is such a shy, reticent kind of guy who wouldn't think of stirring up trouble, so if Apple had removed his app from the app store it would never occur to him to complain about it to his audience. Oh, wait...

The fact is that Drudge hasn't said a word about it in the 8 months since it has been gone. I can only think of two logical possibilities:

1. Drudge removed it.
  2. Apple caught the app stealing user data.

Even when asked directly, Drudge has ignored the question. So I would lean towards the 2nd possibility. However, for the first possibility, last June drudgereport.com was completely redesigned to make it "responsive" - that is, have it dynamically adapt to the type of device it is displayed on. It's really rather attractive now, whether viewed on a computer, a smartphone or a tablet. And each view is different and optimized for the device it is viewed on. So it's likely that PTB at Drudge decided they didn't need a separate app that they would have to continue paying for and supporting.

What you can do to access the Drudge Report is to go to https://drudgereport.com in the Safari (or other) browser on your phone. And if you use Safari you can even save the link as a "favorite" with its own icon on your Home screen, just as if it was an app.

Aug 27, 2018 11:02 AM in response to ganderson2018

My Drudge Report still works on my iPhones and MacBook. I deleted it from my iPad and cannot get it back because it is no longer in the app store. There is little news re why it was removed. As someone else said, if Apple arbitrarily removed it you can be sure Matt Drudge would complain. On the other hand, I notice that some of the questions on this topic have been removed, or at least hidden from my view. I would think that the participants in this Apple community are intelligent enough to reveal the truth. Hopefully soon.

Sep 1, 2018 11:09 AM in response to ganderson2018

I’ve used the app forever, and in the last month or so it has shown AMAZON.COM at the top of the screen. Since that started, I am inundated with pop up ads every time I select an article to read. Just a guess, but I’m thinking it has something to do with Apple's not carrying the app anymore. Fine with me, I’m deleting the app and just going through my iPhone browser, and guess what? No more AMAZON.COM header, or annoying pop ups!

Feb 8, 2019 11:51 AM in response to lslap

Just moved to new iPhone from Samsung Note 9.... much, much better, especially Siri ! Much to my disappointment this left wing outfit deleted the Drudge Report App... but this site provided a very simple solution... thx.

BTW, I find extremely disturbing that Cook is "cooking" the Apple. Cook wouldn't release the killer's iPhone to the FBI after the San Bernardino killings but readily released Roger Stone's iCloud files to the FBI a few days ago.

If the phone wasn't so good, I destroy it right now!

What happened to the Drudge Report App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.