Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos out of order

I recently (via my computer) added a bunch of old photos into my Photos from an old external hard drive, so that they could all be in one place and all be saved in iCloud together. They are all dated correctly, and they are in chronological order (by date) in my Photos app in my computer, but on my iPhone they seem to have organized themselves in the order that I've uploaded them. They are still dated correctly, so how do I get them to organize themselves by date, rather than when they were uploaded?? This is really bugging me, and doesn't really even make sense. When I go to Albums > All Photos they're out of order, but if I go to Moments they are in the correct order. I tried just mentally switching over to looking at my photos in the Moments tab, but that doesn't work, because if I want to upload something to Instagram or use a third party app to edit a photo, I can't find it at all because it's way back in my Photos, before pics from 2004.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 10:54 AM

The All Photos View is meant to be sorted by the date you added the photos, so you can easily find the most recently photos at the end of the All Photos album. The order is fixed and cannot be changed manually.

Use the moments when you want see the photos sorted by the creation date.

If you want to upload photos and need to access then from a different app, consider to create an album with just the photos you want to upload and move this album to the top of your album list, before you start the upload. Afterwards delete the album again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2018 10:54 AM in response to MoonBelle

The All Photos View is meant to be sorted by the date you added the photos, so you can easily find the most recently photos at the end of the All Photos album. The order is fixed and cannot be changed manually.

Use the moments when you want see the photos sorted by the creation date.

If you want to upload photos and need to access then from a different app, consider to create an album with just the photos you want to upload and move this album to the top of your album list, before you start the upload. Afterwards delete the album again.

iPhone photos out of order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.