Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[BootCamp]Boot OS X Partition

Background: 2018 new MacBook Pro 13 bought in August, OS version High Sierra 10.13.6.

I attempted to install windows 10 using bootcamp and failed (got into the installation stage and ended up with "couldn't update boot configuration), so I erased all the bootcamp related partitions and merged back to Macintosh, and retried for four or five times (after removing time machine function, snapshots file thinned and disk reparied). Every time it showed "your disk cannot be partitioned" (never got into the windows installation again).

Question 1: what can I do to install windows 10

Question 2: I found a partition called Boot OS X 134.2 MB (12.5MB used and it is empty after I mounted it). what is this partition for? can I erase it? is this the reason for the windows installation failure?

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 21, 2018 4:59 AM in response to RivenZ

Boot OS X is not a valid partition on a Mac which also has APFS, since you already have Recovery inside the APFS container. This is a known issues on High Sierra.

Run

diskutil eraseVolume fat32 BOOTCAMP disk0s3

and run BC Assistant and click on Remove/Retsore. Once it is back to normal, retry BCA and try to install Windows.

Aug 23, 2018 12:17 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for your reply.

The magical thing just happened. After I installed few apps (office, whatsup, line, etc), weirdly the Boot OS X partition disappeared. Then, I retry BCA and surprisingly it got through the installation stage. But, it failed again saying boot configuration cannot be installed.

I booted back to Mac OS, there are only two partitions now, one is Container disk1, the other is BOOTCAMP. No OSRESERVED, no BOOT OS X partition this time. (Before booting back to Mac, I restarted my laptop, press option, chose windows, and selected region and language. It went black screen once it jumped into the installation page.) After I successfully booted back into Mac OS and restart laptop again with option key being pressed, the windows boot option logo gone, only Macintosh left.

Really wondering what is going on with BCA in High Sierra. Is there another way I can install a pure windows 10?

Aug 23, 2018 12:28 AM in response to Loner T

New Update, I retry BCA for again (for the third time?). It got into the installation page and failed again.

Restart, option, two windows boot logos showed up. The first one led to a blue screen (windows recovery mode), saying "The Boot configuration data file is missing some required information. File \BCD". The second one led to installation but failed aginnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

[BootCamp]Boot OS X Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.