Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy & paste no longer working in apple apps

copy & paste commands are no longer working in apple apps. (both menu and key commands)

solutions attempted:

quit all apps and force quit "pboard" via activity monitor

power-off / restart computer

restart in safe mode to test behaviour. (copy/paste did not work in safe mode either)

none of these solutions have worked. other key commands working as normal (apple-z, apple-p etc) - also, 'cut' command will cut selected text but not paste

I would be very much obliged if someone has any ideas on how i could fix this issue.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 1:42 PM

The fact that it did not work in a new user would indicate that the problem is systemwide. In that case I would try using the 10.13.6 Combo Update to overwrite any system software that is corrupt.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

The Combo Update is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update, so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It should preserve all your data and settings but that said you should always have a backup.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 1:42 PM in response to Chris Allen2

The fact that it did not work in a new user would indicate that the problem is systemwide. In that case I would try using the 10.13.6 Combo Update to overwrite any system software that is corrupt.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

The Combo Update is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update, so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It should preserve all your data and settings but that said you should always have a backup.

Aug 21, 2018 6:18 AM in response to Chris Allen2

Create a fresh user account and test. If that works then it's probably Finder preferences. Try rebuilding them.

Log back into your normal user account and from your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" then copy & paste this file path:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go.

Delete the plist file.

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset some Finder preferences the way you like them)

Aug 21, 2018 6:30 AM in response to Chris Allen2

hi macjack - many thanks for quick reply

I created a fresh admin user account, switched over to it and tested behaviour in osx mail app - issue is the same.

next, I switched back to main admin user account, went in Library/preferences folder and deleted finder prefs file + restarted machine. when i log back in, problem is the same - copy / paste not working. the machine generates an alert sound when I try to paste (both via key or menu command)

copy & paste no longer working in apple apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.