Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIMBL.osax install failed!

I get the following message at startup on my mac mini (late 2012):

"SIMBL.osax install failed! Something went wrong probable System Integrity Protection"

I know it deals with Developers but I not a developer.

Mac mini (Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 10:56 AM

This error message is, most likely, due to System Integrity Protection (SIP) preventing it from being installed in a critical system folder. Disabling SIP would potentially resolve it, but is highly recommended that you don't do so.

SIMBL is not part of macOS, but is an extension that can be used by developers to extend their applications or plug-ins where they may not have access to the original source code. There is an installed app or browser plug-in on your Mac that added this and may be corrupted or missing, thus the error.

Typically, SIMBL, will install itself as a web browser plug-in in either the /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins or ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins folder. You can use Finder with Go to Folder to find and delete them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 10:56 AM in response to desmaster

This error message is, most likely, due to System Integrity Protection (SIP) preventing it from being installed in a critical system folder. Disabling SIP would potentially resolve it, but is highly recommended that you don't do so.

SIMBL is not part of macOS, but is an extension that can be used by developers to extend their applications or plug-ins where they may not have access to the original source code. There is an installed app or browser plug-in on your Mac that added this and may be corrupted or missing, thus the error.

Typically, SIMBL, will install itself as a web browser plug-in in either the /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins or ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins folder. You can use Finder with Go to Folder to find and delete them.

SIMBL.osax install failed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.