Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Update Failed on iPhone

I've had my iPhone 7 for over a year now, and I'm now having issues with cell service. It says "No service" with a caution sign, and it says that I cannot use my data until I have updated, but there is no update. Is this a bug?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Aug 22, 2018 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 12:15 AM

I am facing the same problem on my iPhone 7 as well since yesterday. The error reads "Mobile Data Update Failed -Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access mobile data until it has been updated". I am already on ios12, not sure what to update.I have tried restarting my phone, used airplane mode on and off, ejected sim and reinserted, and even tried resetting my network through settings. Till last night, i would get lucky using one of these fixes but for the last 12 hours, my phone has been in No Service mode. It is showing a warning sign and no service instead of my carrier name in the status bar and also showing Error next to Phone in settings. On apple support page, it says if I try to restore my iPhone, I wont be able to activate my device. Kind of lost now so dropping a message here. Hope we can find a fix.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 12:15 AM in response to danni37

I am facing the same problem on my iPhone 7 as well since yesterday. The error reads "Mobile Data Update Failed -Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access mobile data until it has been updated". I am already on ios12, not sure what to update.I have tried restarting my phone, used airplane mode on and off, ejected sim and reinserted, and even tried resetting my network through settings. Till last night, i would get lucky using one of these fixes but for the last 12 hours, my phone has been in No Service mode. It is showing a warning sign and no service instead of my carrier name in the status bar and also showing Error next to Phone in settings. On apple support page, it says if I try to restore my iPhone, I wont be able to activate my device. Kind of lost now so dropping a message here. Hope we can find a fix.

Oct 3, 2018 5:42 AM in response to AdeelAzim

When I updated my iPhone 7 to iOS12 (on September 18th), when it finished installing, I got a carrier update from Vodafone.

If you think it could be a hardware issue (antenna?, SIM card tray?), have your iphone inspected at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider and they will check your device, giving you all the available options: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

Nov 3, 2018 4:45 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the link, but this article If you see a Cellular Update Failed or Apple Pay Not Available alert after iOS update or restart - Apple Support does not really help, it just says "Contact Apple Support for more help."

So that's what I did. The guy on the phone was polite and really tried to help, but in the end he said it must be a hardware problem with the antenna. I pointed out it's a strange coincidence the supposed hardware defect happens exactly at the time when I update to iOS12 though...but he didn't seem to be willing to furtherly discuss the issue, so that's where I gave up...

No I have a 350 EUR brick. I'm very upset and disappointed.

I

Oct 3, 2018 6:47 PM in response to danni37

I’m having this exact issue with my 6s. I was told by my carrier that it’s a common hardware issue with 6 & 7 - but my SIM card is fine. It only cropped up for me after updating to iOS 12. Unfortunately, even though it’s clearly a common issue, Apple refuses to pay for my replacement—meaning I can either buy the same phone at a discounted (but still exorbitant) price with only a 90 day warranty that could likely have the same issue, or I can pay $$$ for a newer model.

Oct 4, 2018 11:56 AM in response to edefouchier

Bad news everyone. This is a known issue that cannot be fixed either at the Apple Store or via tech help on the phone. Apparently, it only impacts the iPhone 7. I went into the store today and they have to send it away for repair. No charge (gee, how nice of you!), but it'll take 3-5 business days. Received a temporary iPhone in the meantime (iPhone 6), but its been a huge pain. Almost has me thinking of switching brands. Too many problems with Apple lately for me...

Oct 4, 2018 5:44 PM in response to danni37

I too have this issue, it’s been 3 days now and I’ve jumped through the same hoops with Apple and my carrier. It is Apple not my carrier that needs to fix this. I am 1 1/2 hours away from nearest Apple Store. I can’t believe this. Oh and I have a 6s (new 4 months ago, not refurbished) and updated to iOS 12.0 . Come on Apple!!!!

Oct 4, 2018 5:56 PM in response to shandrafromchico

I've been through all the hoops with the carrier & the Apple store, had to fight not to buy a new phone - finally caved and did a restore to factory settings (even though my phone issued a warning that this would not be possible because it would require cellular data) and it fixed the problem. It definitely is a software issue with iOS 12. Apple needs to get on this.

Oct 4, 2018 6:38 PM in response to danni37

Having the same issue. I had automatic updates turned off. In the middle using the phone it shuts off and updates itself and BAMMM no service. Went to carrier they said nothing wrong on their end. Occasionally it will get service here in there with random resets, airplane mode or other but there is no rhyme or reason to the madness. Its a useless brick 75% of the time. I've had an iPhone since the first day they were released. I would kill to have the edge network back if it meant I could call, text and use data. Now I'm considering boycotting all apple products because of this. I own and operate a 50mil business and this has crippled me. Apple get your s$&* together!

Cellular Update Failed on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.