Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer - Issue (%!PS-Abobe-3.0)

Hello.

I have an issues with printing documents. I found simple issues had been discussed here and tried open them. But unfortunately all of them are broken and doesn't open.

Every time, I sent document to the printer RICOH Aficio MP 171, he prints out the page with following text:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%TargetDevice : (RICOH Aficio MP 171 PS3) (3017.104) 2 . %APL_DSC_E

After that, mulitple blank pages spew out from the machine, until more code like letters and numbers then are printed...

I downloaded the last driver version from RICOH's official site and use LDP protocol to connect to the printer.

OS HighSierra 10.13.6.

Document was created in Word-365.

Any ideas what I should do to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 8:50 AM

Kurt,

Your assumption was right, I recreate printer as generic PLC Printer and the issue was solved.

Thank you for your help and operational efficiency.

I hope this topic will help anyone else.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 24, 2018 6:34 AM in response to ValentinRagozin

Just to check, you got the latest driver here?

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc3/model/mp171/mp171.htm

What you're getting is a jumbled attempt at PostScript output. We used to have an HP 5000N that did the same thing when printing out of Quark XPress. The fix was to change the default output setting in Quark from binary to ASCII. Then it would print as expected.

I'd be surprised if you had that kind of option out of Office 365, though.

Sometimes, just changing how the Mac talks to the printer can fix issues like this. Add the printer again. If it has a choice for Bonjour, use that. You could also try IPP rather than LDP.

Aug 24, 2018 7:42 AM in response to ValentinRagozin

I didn't understand, how can I change output format. I guess you meant change printer settings?

Yes, if you have such an option in the print settings. I doubt very much though that you will find such a thing there.

IPP doesn't work, it shows a connection error and documents just stick in queue, without printing.

Okay, so we know that doesn't work. Did you try a Bonjour connection rather than LDP? Go to the System Preferences and click on Printers & Scanners. Do you see the Ricoh with a choice for Bonjour, such as our Lexmark in this example?

User uploaded file

If you can set up a print connection that way, add it alongside the one you already have. Tack something onto the Name: field so you know which is which when you go to print something. Such as here, I could change the name to Lexmark MX410de Bonjour before clicking Add.

The problem actually may be the manufacturer's drivers. For our Xerox 7500DT, some apps would not print using the drivers from Xerox's own site. You'd click print, the app would appear to send something, but nothing would ever appear in the queue and print. We ended up removing Xerox's drivers and installing Apple's. Which are really Xerox's drivers with whatever modifications Apple made. Those worked. Yes, they were also a lower version number than the ones on Xerox's site, but working was far more important than a number.

Aug 24, 2018 8:45 AM in response to ValentinRagozin

There isn't much on this issue noted online. Ricoh's own troubleshooting says this:

Problem: Lines of garbled or unwanted alphanumeric characters appear.

Cause: An incorrect printer language might have been selected.

Solution: Select the correct printer driver and print the file again.

Not very helpful. One other thing I can think of is to use the PCL5 or PCL6 driver rather than PostScript.

Aug 24, 2018 7:06 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I set exactly this drivers, for my printer they have version 5 against Mac's version 4.

I didn't understand, how can I change output format. I guess you meant change printer settings?

I've reinstalled printer for several times, result the same.

IPP doesn't work, it shows a connection error and documents just stick in queue, without printing.

Aug 24, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Unfortunately, Bonjour service is not available. I made an experiment and printed out a note from Evernote on several printers.

201 Model operates Ok and I got what I needed.

161 and 171 models doesn't operate well and have the same issues.

I also tried run print on 161 model, from a Virtual Machine which operates by Windows 10. Test page was printed normally, but my document were printed with the same issue.

All printers have driver version 5.

Printer - Issue (%!PS-Abobe-3.0)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.