Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TP Link powerline wi-fi clone wps

I have a TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline kit and it says you can clone the current wi-fi settings using the wps button on your router to extend/create a seamless wi-fi network. I have an Apple Time capsule which has no wps button, but I understand to go into settings and click 'add wps printer' but it just hangs and never discovers anything. I have pressed the button on the extender to pair, but nothing happens. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2018 1:02 PM

Apple has designed their AirPorts to only wirelessly "extend" the signal of another AirPort, so it is highly unlikely that you will be able use a "clone" or WPS type of setup on the TP-Link devices.

Rather than try to use the WPS setup on the Time Capsule.....you will have a much better chance of success if you try using a manual WiFi setup on the TP-Link devices.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2018 1:02 PM in response to Marky-P

Apple has designed their AirPorts to only wirelessly "extend" the signal of another AirPort, so it is highly unlikely that you will be able use a "clone" or WPS type of setup on the TP-Link devices.

Rather than try to use the WPS setup on the Time Capsule.....you will have a much better chance of success if you try using a manual WiFi setup on the TP-Link devices.

Oct 11, 2018 7:16 PM in response to erick011

That should work fine.. I have used identical setup.. TP-Link powerline extenders plus a 3rd party main router plus a TC. The powerline are transparent to the network.. ie it is treated as a piece of ethernet cable. The wifi at the receive end is just like another WAP.. and that also will pass IP addresses from the main router.

Most important thing in this setup is having the TC on static IP in the network.. so if it does not show up.. which may happen due to poor bonjour compatibility of the main router.. then you can force the connection using the known IP.

Post details if you have problem.

Main router IP range.. and home IP.. TC IP and computer IP.. when we know all that we can easily pickup issues.

BUT make sure the IPv6 is set correctly.. for most people this is link-local only (not auto which auto chooses the wrong configuration at least half the time). Only if you use full IPv6 network should you be on auto.

TP Link powerline wi-fi clone wps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.