Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwiring a Time Capsule

I have a trusted old Time Capsule (1TB) which has been retired from server/repeater duties. I now use it only as a wireless backup drive and as a printer server (connected to a non-AirPrint printer). Since the WAN connection is taking up a valuable port on my switch, I wish to take it off the wired network and connect to it only wirelessly. Presently Network Mode is set to Off, and Router Mode to Off (Bridge Mode).

I tried to simply unplug the ethernet cord, but obviously the TC goes offline. I understand that I have to re-configure, and would appreciate guidance on what changes are required. The LAN part of my network is handled by a Google Wi-Fi mesh, so I guess I need to set up a connection to the wireless network without creating a further network.

Thank you for your time and, hopefully, advice.

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:54 PM

Sorry but you cannot do what you want.. Airport routers were designed by Apple to only work by wifi with other airports.. otherwise you MUST use ethernet. Note the exception is the Express which has a special mode called join a wireless network. This was not available on the Extreme or Time Capsule.

However in bridge mode.. you can use the other 3 LAN ports of the Time Capsule as ethernet ports for other devices.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 10:54 PM in response to onesridhartwo

Sorry but you cannot do what you want.. Airport routers were designed by Apple to only work by wifi with other airports.. otherwise you MUST use ethernet. Note the exception is the Express which has a special mode called join a wireless network. This was not available on the Extreme or Time Capsule.

However in bridge mode.. you can use the other 3 LAN ports of the Time Capsule as ethernet ports for other devices.

Aug 11, 2021 11:28 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ah, I was wondering where I'd seen 'Join a wireless network' before. Must be on the Airport Express which is now with one of my kids. So I'll have to upgrade my switch to a 16-port version? Or retire both my TC and printer, and get a true wireless printer. Trying to avoid e-wastage as far as possible...|

I suppose there is no question of installing third-part firmware on the TC...

Aug 12, 2021 1:48 AM in response to onesridhartwo

leave me wondering if my brain is dissolving

ROFLMAO

Tell me about it.. Amongst us oldies brain dissolution is national pastime. :)

I suppose there is no question of installing third-part firmware on the TC...

Not in this universe. I dug deeply into the Express firmware to discover if I could replicate the function on Extreme/TC but the Express is based on Atheros chipset so completely different to the other two which are based on Marvel in early models and Broadcom in the last one.

As long as you are happy to use ethernet ports on the TC that does provide sufficient breathing space if your 8 port switch is used up. Remember that anything gigabit should be plugged into the switch directly.. and plug your slower items into the TC due to single gigabit link to the switch.. if you have two items with gigabit sharing over a 1 gigabit connection it can slow it down.. unlikely to be a problem in your home network.. but good practice to remember it... for today at least.. tomorrow well.. maybe not.

The stuff that happened 50 years ago goes through my head in sharp 70mm technicolor.. but yesterday is kinda blurry.

Aug 12, 2021 4:46 AM in response to LaPastenague

That is a brilliant post, La Pastenague. Alternately wise and hilarious (and sometimes both in the same breath!)

I have just the one client (my workhorse iMac) downstream of the TC, so it's like plugging into the switch directly, if you ignore the small overhead for the TC's internals. No heavy backups to the TC either, just the tiny incremental bit off a rarely used MBP, and the occasional file spooling to print.

This is the perfect zero-waste solution since it allows me to keep my 8-port switch, my TC, and my old HP laser printer running.

I finally found a lame excuse for not thinking of the free ports. My TC is mounted on the wall, with the ports on top, above my sight line. Of course, there is the brain dissolution, but that has nothing to do with it, right?

Thanks again.

Unwiring a Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.