Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed AppleID month ago. After restoring a recent iCloud backup to a new phone I get a warning that there are some purchases that as tied to “old email address”

So I went through the entire process of changing the email address aasociated with my AppleID several months ago I followed the guide and switched all the settings/apps on my phone at the time as listed in the support guide.

Yesterday I went into the Apple Store for a battery replacement which turned out not to be possible and to cut a long story short I ended up having to get a replacement device.

As instructed by the Apple Technician I restored the previous night’s iCloud backup to the new device.

I then get a warning message on the phone which sadly I didn’t take a screenshot of. It stated that certain purchases were tied to “old email address” and I needed to enter the password. I tried the password for my AppleID (only the email address had been changed not the password) but it did not work.

We tried the iForgot Apple service to try and recover the password for the “old email address”, but the email was not recognized as a valid AppleID, which was kind of expected since I’d changed the email associated to my AppleID to “new email address”.

It seems like there is some kind of bug where purchases can remain tied to an old AppleID email address even after following the correct steps outlined in Apple’s support guidelines for changing the email address of your AppleID.

The support technician seemed stumped. I was unable to determine which apps could not be restored. Though many apps got installed, their data did not restore in the same way as the app offloading feature and I had to re-login as if I was using the app for the first time, which was an unexpected hassle. The most annoying being Google Authenticator which lost all the 2FA details locking me out from a number of services which I’m yet to find a resolution for.

Can anyone explain the process of how apps get transferred between email addresses when you update your AppleID? Did I miss a step that could have caused this or is it a genuine bug?

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 8:44 PM

Did you follow the steps in the articles below when you changed your Apple ID or did you create a new ID?

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 31, 2018 6:26 AM in response to Eric Root

I followed the exact steps listed in the guide to altering your AppleID. I did not create a new one.

There appear to be some apps that are tied to the old email address, but I have no idea which ones they are. Since I've had an iPhone/iPad since 2010, many of those apps, including ones that I have since deleted, must be tied to the old email address, based on the error message I received when restoring the iCloud backup to the new phone.

It would be nice to know which ones they are. I had a call with Apple support two days ago, and they don't seem to be able to tell me.

It would be nice to know how apps are tied to AppleIDs, and why when altering your AppleID email address, why some are changed to the new email address, but others aren't.

Changed AppleID month ago. After restoring a recent iCloud backup to a new phone I get a warning that there are some purchases that as tied to “old email address”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.