Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac and Gigabit Internet

I have an AirPort Extreme (the last version before it was discontinued). I recently upgraded to gigabit internet and can only get about 200 Mbps down and 500 up on any of my devices in the same room as the router with direct line of sight. I’ve tested as close as 10 feet away from the router on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5”. And 20 feet away, direct line of sight on my 2013 MacBook Pro 15”.

My question: is the about the best I can expect? And, is this the total bandwidth of my device? I’d actually be fine with those numbers if I knew that multiple devices could all get that at the same time. Or should I upgrade to a new router? I have been having trouble finding recommendations on routers to maximize 1Gbps speeds.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 9:47 AM

We assume that you have tested to make sure that your Internet connection is delivering Gigabit speeds by connecting your Mac directly to the modem or modem/router using an Ethernet cable and checking the connection that way. If you have not yet done this, make sure to turn off the WiFi on the Mac when you run this check.

What speed are you picking up when you test this way? We ask because if the modem or modem/router is not delivering Gigabit speeds, the AirPort Extreme is only going to be as fast as the signal that it is receiving.

Are you using a separate name for the 5 GHz wireless network on the AirPort Extreme?

If yes.....are you sure that the Macs are connecting to the faster 5 GHz signal....and not the slower 2.4 GHz signal?

If no....you might consider assigning a separate name to the 5 GHz network on the AirPort Extreme, and then "aiming" your Macs at that specific 5 GHz network.

As Tesserax notes, the best that an AirPort Extreme can do with a 1,000 Mbps Internet connection when it is acting as a router is going to be in the range of about 300-400 Mbps. If the AirPort Extreme is acting as a "bridge", it can do a bit better.......maybe 500-600 Mbps.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2018 9:47 AM in response to flyingpoetus

We assume that you have tested to make sure that your Internet connection is delivering Gigabit speeds by connecting your Mac directly to the modem or modem/router using an Ethernet cable and checking the connection that way. If you have not yet done this, make sure to turn off the WiFi on the Mac when you run this check.

What speed are you picking up when you test this way? We ask because if the modem or modem/router is not delivering Gigabit speeds, the AirPort Extreme is only going to be as fast as the signal that it is receiving.

Are you using a separate name for the 5 GHz wireless network on the AirPort Extreme?

If yes.....are you sure that the Macs are connecting to the faster 5 GHz signal....and not the slower 2.4 GHz signal?

If no....you might consider assigning a separate name to the 5 GHz network on the AirPort Extreme, and then "aiming" your Macs at that specific 5 GHz network.

As Tesserax notes, the best that an AirPort Extreme can do with a 1,000 Mbps Internet connection when it is acting as a router is going to be in the range of about 300-400 Mbps. If the AirPort Extreme is acting as a "bridge", it can do a bit better.......maybe 500-600 Mbps.

Aug 28, 2018 8:47 AM in response to flyingpoetus

The AirPort Extreme, when performing as a router, can expect to handle 300-400 Mbps through its WAN-LAN interface. You will not get anything close to 1 Gbps that is provided by your ISP.

You can get a better idea and compare the Extreme vs. other routers at SmallNetBuilder. Remember, the latest model of the Extreme came out in 2013 and is being discontinued by Apple.

Aug 28, 2018 11:00 AM in response to flyingpoetus

I wanted to update with more specifics about my wireless setup.

My AirPort is acting as a bridge, it apparently cannot act as the router for technical reasons I am not 100% clear on. There is a router provided by my ISP (Century Link) that is assigning the IP addresses and my AirPort is in Bridge mode. Additionally, there is a 2nd AirPort Extreme acting as an extender, though I've been testing primarily off the main AirPort, I have gotten similar tests off the 2nd AirPort.

I have tested directly from the modem provided and get around 850 Mbps down and around 500 up. That's shy of the advertised 1Gbps Down 1Gbps Up, but honestly still plenty fast for me. Much faster on the downloads side though than anything I've gotten over wireless. And truthfully, the uploads are just as important. I am into photography, and I upload tons of data to the cloud. (Still, I'll be working with my ISP on the modem side just to make sure I'm maximizing my service.)

I do not have separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs, (but I did confirm that I was on the 5 GHz before testing the speed). I want it that way so that I can take advantage of the band steering within the router. (Though I'm not sure how good it is.)

I've been using WiFi Explorer to confirm which AirPort and which band I was on prior to testing.

If I need a new router, that's fine, I understand the AirPort Extreme is now 5 years old and it may just not be able to keep up with new tech. I've been doing a ton of research on this, but networking is a huge area of weakness for me. I don't understand it a tenth as well as I'd like.

Aug 28, 2018 11:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, thanks for your clarifying questions. I've added a reply below with some more details on my setup and the testing I've done that answers your questions.

Based on your response, it sounds like I should be getting higher speeds than I am now, but that a new wireless router would likely better utilize the bandwidth I have. Luckily my main AppleTV and many of my IoT devices are plugged directly into the router via a switch. Though I do have three security cameras that are wireless, plus our computers and all our iOS devices. I've been really tempted to try running some Cat5 cable from my router/modem to my desk and to my second AirPort Extreme.

Aug 28, 2018 11:10 AM in response to flyingpoetus

Not sure how much time that you want to spend with the AirPort Extreme, but if you want to give it a last shot, that would involve resetting the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then setting it up again.

The reason for this that you would want to do this type of reset after you make any major change......a change in ISP....a modem/router change......or even a change in the service level from your ISP.

There are no guarantees that doing this will result in improved performance of the AirPort Extreme, but if you have the time and inclination, this would be your best shot at possibly improving the performance of the AirPort Extreme.

Aug 28, 2018 11:17 AM in response to Bob Timmons

That's a good call. I'm honestly a bit torn between wanting to get the most out of what I'm paying for, and the reality that 200 Mbps down and 500 Mbps up is probably just fine. But if I got it up to 500 on both, I'd probably just leave well enough alone. CenturyLink doesn't have any tiers between 100 down / 50 up and 1000 down / 1000 up, otherwise I might have chosen a different tier.

Aug 28, 2018 12:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob for the win! That got me 500 up and 500 down. That's good enough to keep the AirPorts around for a bit longer at least. Plenty fast for my needs.

EDIT: Bob still wins for helping me figure out the issue. For a brief moment, I had 500 up, 500 down. And then I reconnected my 2nd AirPort and my download speeds were brought back down to 200 Mbps. Turns out the AirPort can handle that throughput on its own, but as soon as I extended, even if my device was running off the main AirPort, the download speed is more than halved.

Aug 28, 2018 2:34 PM in response to flyingpoetus

Turns out the AirPort can handle that throughput on its own, but as soon as I extended, even if my device was running off the main AirPort, the download speed is more than halved.

Sounds like you are trying to "extend" your network using a wireless connection between the AirPorts. That will always result in a drop to about half of the potential performance of the network.....on the entire network.

Connect the AirPorts together using Ethernet, and full speeds....at least the speeds of which the AirPorts are capable..... will be maintained over the network.

Aug 28, 2018 3:26 PM in response to flyingpoetus

Edit to post above.

I did not mean to imply that simply connecting the AirPorts together using an Ethernet cable.....and doing nothing else..... will solve your speed issue.

If you do want to connect the AirPorts that way......(strongly recommended if you care about performance).....the "remote" AirPort will need to be reset back to default settings.....before....it can be reconfigured to "extend using Ethernet".

If you try to connect an Ethernet cable between the AirPorts without doing anything else, that will set up a massive feedback loop over the entire network......which in effect will cause the network to crash.

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac and Gigabit Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.