Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Firmware 7.8 will not stream Audible content

After upgrading Airport Express firmware to 7.8 iTunes on Mac will no longer play Audible content

It plays the content but no sound is produced on any of the speakers including the Mac internal.

Downgrading the firmware fixes the problem... but then no Airplay 2. Bug? Feature?

Can this be fixed?

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 1:52 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 29, 2018 7:49 AM in response to phege

Hi!

That some people have it working is perhaps cause for optimism!

Let me however be more specific....

I have a number of Airport Expresses (6) all of them that are possible to upgrade where upgraded (4)

some of the Gen 1 can not be upgraded (So i have in fact a mixed Airplay 1 and 2 infrastructure)

I am streaming the Audible content from iTunes 12.8.0.160 (latest available ...)

Selecting any of the expresses for playback of Audible Content (AAX file type) resulted i no sound being played on any device! iTunes is however playing the file as the progress bar for playback is moving

Those lucky individuals who got it working, where you streaming AAX from iTunes or an iOS app?

Do you have multiple expresses to stream to? (Mixed versions?)

To me this "smells" more like a DRM issue in iTunes or some glitch with mixed Airplay 1 & 2 device mix

Aug 29, 2018 9:08 AM in response to phege

Ok, just set up both a 1st & 2nd gen AirPort Express base stations. I then streamed an audiobook (Chase - Dean Koontz, purchased from the iTunes Store) from iTunes (v12.8.0.150) on my 2014 Mac mini (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6). With both base stations selected, I didn't get any errors streaming to either. I can also stream successfully to either station individually. The 1st gen is running 7.6.9 & the 2nd, 7.8.

I only have these two remaining Express base stations to test with. I made sure that no software firewalls were running on my mini and that it was configured for IPv6 Link-only mode. All connections between the iTunes host and the base stations were Ethernet through multiple Ubiquiti managed Ethernet switches.

Sep 6, 2018 3:42 PM in response to phege

I contacted Apple about this late last week. I started in a chat, which then went to a call, which then went to a call with a senior advisor. After copying of logs and screenshots and so forth, it’s now apparently in the hands of the engineers and I expect to speak to someone again some time next week.

I also contacted Audible, because what the ****. Audible’s support people don’t seem to be nearly as good at asking questions (or, indeed, properly understanding the answers) as Apple’s, and the end result was the advice that I should contact Apple. But one interesting -- but probably unhelpful -- thing: I download Audible files in the “Enhanced” format, which do the play-without-sound thing. I tried downloading a file in “Format 4,” and it didn’t play at all. It just stopped immediately as soon as I clicked the play button.

Airport Express Firmware 7.8 will not stream Audible content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.