Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete old backups

I’ve run out of cloud space. Is there a way to delete the old backups (which are taking up the space predominantly)to create space in cloud? I can afford more space even if it’s only a few bucks!

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 29, 2018 4:41 AM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2018 4:54 PM in response to wvwc87

Hello wvwc87,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you would like to clear some space in iCloud by removing old backups. There are a few ways you can manage the space available in iCloud. I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue. ​

Manage your iCloud Backup

When you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud, the most important information on your device is backed up automatically. Backups include your documents, photos, and videos. Learn more about what iCloud backs up.

You can decrease the size of your iCloud Backup and free up space in iCloud when you turn off backups for apps that you're not using or delete old iCloud backups.

Choose which apps to back up

Many iOS apps automatically back up to iCloud after you install them. You can change which apps back up and remove existing backups from your storage. Use these steps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

iOS 10.3 or later:

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. If you use iOS 11, tap Manage Storage > Backups. If you use iOS 10.3, tap iCloud Storage > Manage Storage.
  3. Tap the name of the device that you're using.
  4. Under Choose Data to Back Up, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.
  5. Choose Turn Off & Delete.

iOS 10.2 or earlier:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
  2. Tap the name of the device that you're using.
  3. Under Backup Options, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.
  4. Choose Turn Off & Delete.

When you confirm that you want to Turn Off & Delete an app, it turns off iCloud Backup for that app and removes all of its information from iCloud.

Some apps, like Voice Memos, are always backed up and you can't turn them off.

Manage your iCloud storage

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Can I delete old backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.