Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean the new MacBooks Pro 2018 with Touch Bar?

This is because these Macs turn on automatically when you click any keys or you interact with the built-in trackpad, so you can't just clean your Mac when it is turned off.

You have necessarily to clean your Mac when it is turned on, in this case you have to avoid unwanted actions by keyboard, touch bar or trackpad.

Disabling the built-in trackpad is simple if you have a Bluetooth mouse or trackpad, just select "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" from System Preferences > Accessibility : Mouse & Trackpad.

Disabling the keyboard and the touch bar is more difficult... however, I found a little app called KeyboardCleanTool that disables temporarily the keyboard and the touch bar.

Very handy 😉

This let me clean my MackBook Pro 2018 without worries.

Now, the question is... is there a hidden function to help us clean our Macs in a more convenient way? for example a "cleaning mode" that can be activated with a hotkey combination?

Are Apple engineers aware of this? or they just forget that even a Mac can get dirty?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 8:43 AM

6 replies

Aug 30, 2018 1:47 PM in response to fiod3s

Now, the question is... is there a hidden function to help us clean our Macs in a more convenient way? for example a "cleaning mode" that can be activated with a hotkey combination?

Excellent idea.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

You can disabling boot on power/lid open on the new MacBook Pro etc

1) Go to /Applications/Utilities/ folder and open the Terminal app.

2) To disable boot on power and boot on lid, copy & paste or type

then press Enter to execute the command:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00

To turn the feature back on:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03

Sep 1, 2018 9:21 AM in response to leroydouglas

thanks for the hint but accordingly to man pmset there is no option to disable them

however this is the output of pmset -g

System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:

standbydelay 10800

standby 1

womp 1

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

powernap 1

gpuswitch 2

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 10

sleep 1 (sleep prevented by coreaudiod)

autopoweroffdelay 28800

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

tcpkeepalive 1

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Sep 1, 2018 9:32 AM in response to fiod3s

fiod3s wrote:

thanks for the hint but accordingly to man pmset there is no option to disable them

Well, that was the exercise—no defaults write option— you have your answer.

I like your post above: "PS I posted a feedback to Apple proposing a cleaning mode"

I think this is a great idea a needs to be escalated up the line of command.

I would suggest you file a bug report and start a conversation with Apple engineers, they will respond to you personally. With your same Apple ID you can sign up for a free Developers Account. Sign in with your same AppleID you are using here: Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

How to clean the new MacBooks Pro 2018 with Touch Bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.