Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Cleaning

Hey folks. I'm running a 2018 Macbook Pro here and am desperate to find a practical keyboard cleaning method. From shut down, as many of you know, literally any keystroke will trigger startup. Hence, it's impossible to give my keyboard a thorough wipe down without mashing down gangs of active keys at a time; a practice that I'm certain is less than ideal for the device.

An absolute shutdown, one that bypasses universal keystroke startup, or a keyboard 'lock' function would prove invaluable here, though multiple calls with support have assured me that these are not viable options.

How do you folks keep your keyboards clean? Does anyone have an effective workaround they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 8:55 AM

wrex genesis wrote:

Hey folks. I'm running a 2018 Macbook Pro here and am desperate to find a practical keyboard cleaning method. From shut down, as many of you know, literally any keystroke will trigger startup. Hence, it's impossible to give my keyboard a thorough wipe down without mashing down gangs of active keys at a time; a practice that I'm certain is less than ideal for the device.

An absolute shutdown, one that bypasses universal keystroke startup, or a keyboard 'lock' function would prove invaluable here, though multiple calls with support have assured me that these are not viable options.

How do you folks keep your keyboards clean? Does anyone have an effective workaround they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

The way I do it, once you are logged in— use the Control Command Q this will effectively lock the screen

and will not proceed further until you enter the correct psswd

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 8:55 AM in response to wrex genesis

wrex genesis wrote:

Thanks in advance.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

The way I do it, once you are logged in— use the Control Command Q this will effectively lock the screen

and will not proceed further until you enter the correct psswd

Keyboard Cleaning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.