Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Adding Photos Library to iMovie

Hello, I've followed this link in order to add Photos to iMovie but I'd want to be able to accomplish importing my Photos library to iMovie:

Add Photos images to an iMovie project - Apple Support

I do see "Photos Library" on the left hand side of the bar, and there are files there, but it does not have anything from my current Photos Library. The files shown are from 2017, and possibly from my old iPhotos Library, whereas I would like to see all the videos I have in my Photos Library. I have attempted using "import media", but my Photos Library is greyed out so that I cannot select it.

Is there a way to import my current Photos Library into iMovie? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

My iMovie version is 10.1.9 and my Mac version is 10.13.6 High Sierra.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), storage

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 10:42 PM

Open your current Photos library and go to the Photos app Preferences and check the box to make the library your systems library. iMovie will only recognize the system library, and there can be only one system library at a time, so if you go back to an old library you will need to go to preferences and make it the system library.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2018 10:42 PM in response to isooleil

Open your current Photos library and go to the Photos app Preferences and check the box to make the library your systems library. iMovie will only recognize the system library, and there can be only one system library at a time, so if you go back to an old library you will need to go to preferences and make it the system library.

-- Rich

Aug 31, 2018 2:49 AM in response to isooleil

Just an add-on to Rich's post: where is your Photos Library stored? The Photos Library in your Pictures folder is usually already the Sstem Photo Library. But if the library is on an external drive, the drive needs to be compatible with Photos to be able to use it as your System Photos Library: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If you switch between system photo libraries, you may need to restart Photos and iMovie for the change to take effect. Occasionally I even needed to log off and on again.

I have attempted using "import media", but my Photos Library is greyed out so that I cannot select it.

"Import Media" is only working for files imported from folders in the Finder. It does not work for photo libraries. iMovie is using a reduced File Chooser Dialog, that does not show you the sidebar with the Media Browser like the "File > Open" dialog in other applications. It has its own Media Browser.

Issues Adding Photos Library to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.