Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log of flash drives used on my Mac?

Hi all, I am concerned that somebody has connected a memory stick of some kind to my computer and copied files onto a flash drive or some sort of external drive. I have since deleted these files (kind of out of panick). Is there any log or record kept on my Mac of external drives that my Mac has been connected too?

Thanks

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 2, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Lukeoc707

Your past log viewing window continues to shrink at Apple's hands. Under a week now.

As of High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65), it appears that Apple now retains the current day's system.log, and yesterday's as system.log.0.gz. This is likely a significant decrease in log retention since the 2015 article that dialabrain linked too.

Traditionally, UNIX machines have only kept system logs for up to 7 days, before purging the oldest log, and then rotating the log names in a daily cyclical housekeeping process. These took the format: system.log, system.log.0.gz, system.log.n.gz.

Along came Apple, and wrote their own ASL (Apple System Log) facility and began writing proprietary binary system logs into /var/log/asl. Right now, mine on High Sierra 10.13.6 shows asl files from Aug 31 thru Sep 2 (ongoing). Apple appears to have deprecated the above rotational system.log — maintaining now just a day old system.log.0.gz file. Both of these logging conventions can be viewed in the Console application.

Older system/asl logs could be restored from Time Machine if you really wanted to do that, provided you did not overwrite any of the system.log* files.

Log of flash drives used on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.