Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clear Safari cache on a controlled family account?

I control my son’s under-13 account through family sharing. Safari on his iPad has been infected with the dreaded pop up ad malware, but the option to clear his Safari cache in Settings is grayed out (presumably because of the family sharing thing). I deleted all individual website data but how can I clear his cache and history? I already turned off java as suggested on another thread and that is a temporary fix but I fear it will mess up some of his websites. Thanks.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 12:53 PM

Ah, okay, my son says he cleared it first thing, which explains why it was grayed out. That didn’t solve the pop up problem, but I’ll try leaving java turned off for a couple of days and see what happens. Thank you!

3 replies

Sep 2, 2018 12:20 PM in response to BookLadyKD

Sorry, but I'm confused. When you go to Settings>Safari, you should see an option to Clear History and Website Data. What happens when you tap on that?

Family Sharing would have no effect on managing Safari. If you mean that the "Clear History and Website Data" is greyed out, that is because it has been cleared, and there is nothing else to clear.

Best,

GB

Clear Safari cache on a controlled family account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.