Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless file sharing between Mac & iPhone

I read a 2013 question about wireless sharing between computers, but it doesn't address iPhones. I just want an easier way to transfer files without using iCloud - mainly a quick transfer of a photo occasionally. One solution offered was to use a Wi-Fi router to create a local network. I have a w-fi router (Airport Extreme) so I thought this would work. I tried ad hoc network and airdrop, but can't get either to work.

I cannot use iTunes either trying from the directions "Help" gives. When I connect my phone to the computer I don't get the screen the "help" instructions give (see 2 attached, 1st is iTunes Help, 2nd is my screen). I have no "Summary".

My MacBookPro is running El Capitan 10.11.6

My iPhone 6s 11.4.1.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), iPhone 6s

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 3:42 AM

Hi jlw71,

Thanks for providing that additional screenshot. It appears you are currently viewing the Podcasts screen in iTunes, and you'll need to click on your device icon in order to see the Summary option. Here's what that will look like:

User uploaded file

If you don't see an icon for your iPhone to click on, follow the steps in this resource next:

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Take care!
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2018 3:42 AM in response to jlw71

Hi jlw71,

Thanks for providing that additional screenshot. It appears you are currently viewing the Podcasts screen in iTunes, and you'll need to click on your device icon in order to see the Summary option. Here's what that will look like:

User uploaded file

If you don't see an icon for your iPhone to click on, follow the steps in this resource next:

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Take care!

Sep 4, 2018 7:53 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks Joseph, but I don't have the screens all the directions describe. In my original question is a screenshot that shows I do not get the "Summary" from iTunes Help and the link you provided.

I also do not get the "device details screen in iTunes where you should then see 'Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi' in the Options box" from your answer - new screenshot attached.

User uploaded file

The final directions on the link you provided says:

Get help

If you can't set iTunes to sync over Wi-Fi, or if sync doesn't work:

1. Restart your computer and iOS device.
  2. Make sure that your computer and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network. Syncing doesn't work over an Ethernet to Wi-Fi connection.
  3. In your firewall settings, make sure that TCP ports 123 and 3689, and UDP ports 123 and 5353 are open. If you need help with this step, contact your computer or router manufacturer or check the instructions for your firewall or security software.

I do not want to mess with #3.

I might just call Apple and have someone hold my hand - or tell me it isn't possible.

Sep 3, 2018 1:36 PM in response to jlw71

Hello jlw71,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are looking for a way to wirelessly share files between your iPhone 6s and your MacBook Pro, and you are unable to set up Wi-Fi syncing in iTunes. You've come to the right place for help.

With iTunes open, and the iPhone connected to your MacBook Pro via Lightning to USB cable, click on the iPhone icon towards the upper-left of the iTunes screen. That will take you to a device details screen in iTunes where you should then see 'Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi' in the Options box:

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Let us know what happens after trying those steps. If you could tell us more about what happens when you try to share files via AirDrop then we may be able to help with that issue as well.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2018 4:16 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks Joseph,

After 2 other replies, I realized that you had already given me the correct info. I just didn't look at the "iPhone icon towards the upper-left of the iTunes screen", only left in the sidebar. Duh!

Now, how to Sync. I chose a photo on my phone and clicked Share. I did iCloud sharing, but I think that was possible without wifi syncing, right?

I think my MacBook Pro (2009) and iPad (2012) are both too old for Airdrop. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

Jan (jlw71)

Wireless file sharing between Mac & iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.