Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing photos

When I take photos on my IphoneX, I always upload them to my mac photos. Never had any issues. This time I uploaded my photos from my IphoneX and the majority of my photos did not upload onto my Mac. I reset and restarted both my phone and the Mac and attempted the upload with no luck. I checked the "hidden photos and hidden album features and I do not have anything hidden. Please help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 12:44 PM

When I take photos on my IphoneX, I always upload them to my mac photos.

How do you upload? Do you connect the iPhone to a USB port and launch Photos?

If only some Photos appeared in Photos, check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone and "Optimize Storage".

Check "Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos". Is iCloud Photo Library enabled,mand "Optimize Storage"?

Then you may not be able to download all photos, because some may only be in iCloud and not on your iPhone.

Is your signature still valid? Or did you upgrade to a newer system?

If your iPhone X is set to take photos in the space saving High Efficiency format, a mac with Mavericks is not compatible. Then you need to change the settings on the iPhone.

See this document how to set the iPhone to be more compatible with older Macs: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2018 12:44 PM in response to Neddie

When I take photos on my IphoneX, I always upload them to my mac photos.

How do you upload? Do you connect the iPhone to a USB port and launch Photos?

If only some Photos appeared in Photos, check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone and "Optimize Storage".

Check "Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos". Is iCloud Photo Library enabled,mand "Optimize Storage"?

Then you may not be able to download all photos, because some may only be in iCloud and not on your iPhone.

Is your signature still valid? Or did you upgrade to a newer system?

If your iPhone X is set to take photos in the space saving High Efficiency format, a mac with Mavericks is not compatible. Then you need to change the settings on the iPhone.

See this document how to set the iPhone to be more compatible with older Macs: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2018 1:08 PM in response to Neddie

Leonie,

I think that's the problem, I do have it set to Optimize Storage. But I am so scared to turn off iCloud because I am afraid I will loose my pictures in the Cloud. I am not sure what I need to do next. My computer is so old it is a 2011 model. I do have the Sierra version downloaded. I forgot to mention that in my question.

But, I appreciate your help Thank You so much!

Sep 8, 2018 1:09 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

I think that's the problem, I do have it set to Optimize Storage. But I am so scared to turn off iCloud because I am afraid I will loose my pictures in the Cloud. I am not sure what I need to do next. My computer is so old it is a 2011 model. I do have the Sierra version downloaded. I forgot to mention that in my question.

But, I appreciate your help Thank You so much!

Missing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.