Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do the latest firmware update of third gen Apple TV is compatible with iOS 9.3.5?

We got a Apple TV (3th gen) in each room of our building, configured with a AirPort Express and a video projector. The employees have old iPads stuck at iOS 9.3.5 or lower.

Nowadays, it's being more and more common the minor issues when mirroring the iPad screen: lags, lost of connection, sound don't playing, etc (what normally is fixed with a connection restart with AirPort and/or Apple TV or full turn off and on of iPad).

I have never updated the Apple TV firmware (due connectivity limitations) and I suppose this update will fix most of these minor issues. BUT my fear is the retrocompatibility between the Apple TV firmware with the old iOS versions.

It is 100% secure to update the Apple TV software once I still use iOS 8 and 9 with them?

Apple TV, iOS 9.3.5, iOS 8 too

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 12:45 PM

Apple TV Software 7.2.2 (from 2016) is the final version for the Apple TV (3rd generation). It was based on iOS 8. It is compatible with iOS versions up to now (iOS 11.4.1), so that includes 9.3.5.

Not sure what you are worried about.

1 reply

Do the latest firmware update of third gen Apple TV is compatible with iOS 9.3.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.