Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Hi everybody!

I used to have a 2009 iMac that went beyond recovery and is already being recycled into something else. I always backed up my files to a Time Capsule using Time Machine app.

When I got a new iMac, I used the Migration Assistant to fully recover all my files, configurations, etc. Everything perfect!

Not quite! Now Time Machine is telling me there is no available space for continuing backing up my files.

After some digging, I learned that Time Machine does not erase backup files from another machine. Also, I’ve discovered that the way to erase old backup files from other machines is by means of “tmutil” command. It happens that when I used “tmutil listbackups” command to see all backups stored in the Time Capsule, it showed me only the back-ups from the new machine.

The question I’d like to ask you is: how can I erase some of the old back-ups of my old machine? Remember I no longer have the old machine!

Thank you in advance,

Fernando Freitas

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 5:29 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 7, 2018 2:35 PM in response to Ftoaris

Is it correct to assume it is possible to erase just some backups by using the method you described?

You can delete whole backups in Finder.. but you cannot delete individual files inside the backup without causing damage.

The correct method is inside Time Machine. Select the files you no longer want and delete them.

However it is very seldom effective to delete sufficient space to get your backup down to reasonable size.

The old Pondini KB will have more info which is still valid for this.

http://www.baligu.com/pondini/TM/12.html

Please do read through more than that particular note.. because it is still a great resource to understand what Time Machine backups are and how to fix up the many many issues related to such a complex backup system.

Finally, both the "archive" and "erase" functions you mentioned are accessed via AirPort Utility?

Yes.. anything to do with TC must be done via the airport utility.

You cannot do it using disk utility for example because this is network disk. Only local disks can be handled by disk utility in the Mac.

Just go to the disk tab in Airport Utility.

User uploaded file

For erase you have a few options.

User uploaded file

Quick erase simply deletes the indexes and takes about a minute.

The other options write zeros to the drive.. low level format in the old coin.

It will take many hours.. 35 passes maybe a week or 6.

Unless the drive is showing itself to be suspect a quick erase is more than sufficient.

Sep 7, 2018 10:40 PM in response to Ftoaris

• Airport Utility doesn’t give me the “archive” option for the USB disk;

Any disk you use for archive is going to be overwritten.. since you don't want to lose your backup on the existing external drive you will need to buy a new one.. or redesignate an old drive you no longer need. Format it correctly ie Mac OS journaled (HFS+)

• I already have a HD (WD My Book for Mac) connected to the Time Capsule through its USB port. TM is making backups from all computers in the house (three in total) to those two destinations simultaneously;

When you archive.. unplug the existing USB drive.. and plug in the new drive. You only need to archive the internal TC disk.. not the USB drive.

Two last questions worries me. The questions are:

• How do I have to deal with the USB HD?

Unplug the existing drive used for backup and plug in the one you are going to use for archive. However you could do it manually.. and this will be faster if you plug a computer into the TC by ethernet.

Plug the disk you intend for archive into the USB port of the computer.. and copy and paste the files you want to save from the TC disk to the USB disk plugged into the computer.. this will be many times faster if you have USB 3 disk and computer.

• How can I retrieve one of the old backups from the “archived” disk?

Plug the archive USB into the computer. Right click on the Time Machine icon in the dock.. or option click on the top menu Time Machine icon ..

Select browse other time machine disks.

User uploaded file

You will see all your disks show up and you can select the TM backup wherever it is located.

User uploaded file

Sep 11, 2018 5:28 PM in response to Ftoaris

Alleluia!

It finally worked!
I followed your last instructions and mounted all sparsebundle files and tried again the option-right click TM. This time all disks were there. I’ve tried a bunch of them and it worked just fine.

Now I`m gonna do the last part of this Odyssey and erase the TM.

Wish me luck!
I`ll let you know as soon as I finish the whole process.

And again, thank you so much!

Sep 11, 2018 3:40 PM in response to Ftoaris

Plugged USB disk to the computer>opened Finder>Four archive (name.sparsebundle) appeared (one for each computer backing up to TM);

This is working correctly.

Option-Clicked TM>browse other TM disks>the USB didn’t show up;

Not sure why this step failed.

It could be just the age of the computer..

What Mac OS are you running on it?

If I plug an archived backup into the computer it shows up no problem.

Try mounting one of the sparse bundles. Select one you are interested in and double click it. You should see in Finder the sparse bundle will mount and you will then see Time Machine backup.

Like this.

New mac connects to time capsule but isn't seeing old backups

Only you are doing it on the USB disk instead of the TC.

If it fails then tell me more.. are you using a self powered drive.

Either make sure your USB is powered or you are using a powered USB hub.

The old Mac USB port might not provide sufficient current to keep the USB running.

Sep 11, 2018 3:12 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi there! I was trying to tell you what I have done before the archive the USB disk. The whole sequence was as follows:

• Plugged TM to my iMac using ethernet;
  • Openned Airport Util>clicked on TM figure>opened DISK tab>openned DATA>clicked ARCHIVE ... the USB disk didn’t appear!
  • Plugged USB disk to the TM, redo the steps above ... the usb disk appeared and the archive process started and after 38 hours was concluded;
  • Plugged USB disk to the computer>opened Finder>Four archive (name.sparsebundle) appeared (one for each computer backing up to TM);
  • Option-Clicked TM>browse other TM disks>the USB didn’t show up;
  • Plugged USB disk to TM and retried the steps above>same result;

So, thats pretty much where I’m now. I don’t no know what else to try.

TIA,

Fernando

Sep 11, 2018 4:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi there!

Let’s answer your questions:

1. "It could be just the age of the computer.. What Mac OS are you running on it?» - Thats why everything began. I have a new machine. An iMac 27", 5k brand new, running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6;
  2. "Try mounting one of the sparse bundles. Select one you are interested in and double click it. You should see in Finder the sparse bundle will mount and you will then see Time Machine backup.» - Did it! It lists lots of archives. The oldest from 2017 and they were supposed to go back to 2016!
  3. "are you using a self powered drive.» - Yes!

Thanks again!

Sep 4, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax! Thank you for your response.

Now I can see all back-ups from my old machine in the Finder window.

The question that remains to be answer (just to be sure!) is: can I erase the oldest backups by just sending them to the trash bin from that very same Finder window?

Thanks a lot!
Regards,

Fernando

Sep 5, 2018 10:12 AM in response to Ftoaris

I will jump in.. just to stop you making a mess..

DO NOT DELETE BACKUPS INSIDE FINDER. Do not do it. Avoid anything that is going to mess with the backup as they easily become corrupted and useless.

The best way to handle this since you really don't need the old backup continuously available is to archive it to a USB drive. Time Capsule has a built in archive function on the disk tab.. plug in a suitably sized (same or larger than TC hard disk) Mac format drive.

Archive can take many hours.. if you are moving a full 2TB maybe a couple of days.. but you can leave it do its stuff.

Once you complete the archive and plug it into the computer and ensure it works.. erase the TC disk. Option is on that same page in airport utility.

Then start a new backup from your computer.

Sep 6, 2018 8:54 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague! Thank you for your warning.

As a matter of fact, in the present case I'm not much interested in keeping very old (almost 3 years old!) backups, but nevertheless, your tip is "life-saving"!

Is it correct to assume it is possible to erase just some backups by using the method you described?

Finally, both the "archive" and "erase" functions you mentioned are accessed via AirPort Utility?

Regards,

Fernando

Sep 7, 2018 3:36 PM in response to LaPastenague

Again, thank you so very much!

I'm now convinced the best course of action is to use the “archive” and “delete” option using Airport Utility.

Nevertheless, considering the following:

• I already have a HD (WD My Book for Mac) connected to the Time Capsule through its USB port. TM is making backups from all computers in the house (three in total) to those two destinations simultaneously;

• Airport Utility doesn’t give me the “archive” option for the USB disk;

Two last questions worries me. The questions are:

• How do I have to deal with the USB HD?

• How can I retrieve one of the old backups from the “archived” disk?

TIA,

Fernando

Sep 11, 2018 6:17 AM in response to LaPastenague

Dear LaPastenague, I just finished the archive process as you suggested.

It lasted around 38 hours to archive 2.5 TB of data. I've tried to connect the USB drive to the computer but TM didn't "saw" the disk, although it was connected to the computer by an Ethernet cable. As soon as I connected the disk to TM it recognized it and the archiving start with no problems to the end.

My final (hopefully) question relates to your recommendation to "...Once you complete the archive and plug it into the computer and ensure it works.". How exactly I'm supposed to do that? By using Finder or Disk Utility or Time Machine?

I'm a little frightened to messed up with the archived disk.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

Sep 11, 2018 1:39 PM in response to Ftoaris

I already explain it with the last two screenshots above.

You plug the USB disk into the computer by USB.

I've tried to connect the USB drive to the computer but TM didn't "saw" the disk, although it was connected to the computer by an Ethernet cable.

I am confused by what you did here. You connect the USB drive to the computer using ethernet is not possible.

Plug the USB disk into the computer.. open it in Finder. Just to make sure you can see all the folders and files that are on your TC.

Now open Time Machine.. and go to browse other Time Machine disks and open the archive disk.. and open the particular backup.

You can then use verify in Time Machine to check the backup.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.