Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is it appropriate to delete all Time Capsule backups and Create a New Backup of the HD?

I recently moved a large volume of files to an external HD to reduce volume of a nearly full HD. Would it be appropriate to delete all files on my Time Capsule (which would include those files which are no longer present) and then perform a completely New Backup to reflect the Current HD files?

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2018 4:41 PM

This is absolutely the WRONG time to do that.

What if you deleted one file too many? You would need the old backup to retrieve that file.

Time machine takes care of thinning its own old backups, then deleting the very oldest backups automatically, when it needs the space for newer backups.

I suggest that any of the reasons you have stated are NOT sufficient to require your intervention.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2018 4:41 PM in response to MJM97000

This is absolutely the WRONG time to do that.

What if you deleted one file too many? You would need the old backup to retrieve that file.

Time machine takes care of thinning its own old backups, then deleting the very oldest backups automatically, when it needs the space for newer backups.

I suggest that any of the reasons you have stated are NOT sufficient to require your intervention.

When is it appropriate to delete all Time Capsule backups and Create a New Backup of the HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.