Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "Apple wants to make changes". Any idea what this is?

My computer keeps saying that Apple wants to make changes. Any ideas what this is? It has just started happening since I updated Sierra. Can't seem to get rid of the box and I am not game to enter my password!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 13, 2018 11:21 PM in response to VolleyMom1015 In response to VolleyMom1015

Try Malwarebytes.

There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Sep 13, 2018 11:20 PM in response to jagoinpenarth In response to jagoinpenarth

Like a novice idiot, I fell for this and entered my password after getting the "Apple wants to make changes" pop up. Then I checked the forums and found this thread. Needless to say I should have checked the forum first! Anyway, I have immediately changed my MAC access password. Then I ran Malwarebytes and deleted everything it detected. Then I cleared: Cache, history & website data. Here are a few links to help clean up your computer.

Free Antivirus Replacement & Anti-Malware Tool | Malwarebytes

https://nektony.com/blog/how-to-reset-safari-on-mac

https://macsecurity.net/view/188-remove-anysearchmanager-malware-from-mac

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 6, 2018 3:20 AM in response to jagoinpenarth In response to jagoinpenarth

You may have to try and post a screenshot of the dialog box in question.

On the face of it, fraud is suspected. You could try restarting in Safe mode

and see if you can work around the suspicious prompt.

Not sure what to suggest, local time here is 2:20AM ~ I'm past due on sleep.

User uploaded file

Sep 6, 2018 3:20 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 6, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for answering.

I can't think that I am doing anything in particular where it happens -- I have waited a few hours, and this time when I clicked cancel, the box disappeared, although I am sure that it will pop up again!

J

Sep 6, 2018 2:28 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 7, 2018 9:32 AM in response to jagoinpenarth In response to jagoinpenarth

I can tell you guys what I was doing when this appeared. I was surfing the internet on Safari. Specifically I was on CBSSports.com reviewing my fantasy football team. Then Safari just... "closed." Not crashed, because usually you get a pop-up that says "Safari closed unexpectedly" or something like that. But Safari closed, then about 1-2 sec. later, up popped the "Apple wants to make changes." dialogue box popped up. And it stays on top of all applications. When I opened "Force Quit," no application appears. It also does not appear in the lower Application Dock. I haven't pushed cancel OR Ok for fear that selecting either one is a trap.

Sep 7, 2018 9:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 7, 2018 11:38 AM in response to jagoinpenarth In response to jagoinpenarth

Is it safe?! I have no idea how to answer that... but I dont think it would hurt to do some research and determine what you think is safe. The only reason I posted this is to help an Apple programer that might be reading this potentially get closer to solving the problem or protecting their OS.

Sep 7, 2018 11:38 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 13, 2018 11:21 PM in response to VolleyMom1015 In response to VolleyMom1015

Try Malwarebytes.

There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Sep 13, 2018 11:21 PM

Reply Helpful (4)
User profile for user: jagoinpenarth

Question: "Apple wants to make changes". Any idea what this is?