Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Apple wants to make changes". Any idea what this is?

My computer keeps saying that Apple wants to make changes. Any ideas what this is? It has just started happening since I updated Sierra. Can't seem to get rid of the box and I am not game to enter my password!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 1:07 AM

37 replies

Sep 21, 2018 12:17 AM in response to randy1649

IF you've of a mind to provide free cures such as etrecheck &/or malwarebytes for mac (thomas r.)

then feel free to do so. And if it works, provide free followup for several years here in ASC, too.

These two products were derived from individuals who have contributed here for near a decade.

There are manual methods to hunt down and try to remove these kinds of issues from macOS.

A few contributors, who have stopped contributing ~ used to go into great command-line detail

on how to do just that. Mostly how to identify the problem and troubleshoot: then remove items.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2018 11:34 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric! I am having the same problem with the prompt "Apple wants to make changes". In addition, it seems that my laptop screen goes black (as if going to sleep) after just a few minutes of being on it when I feel it shouldn't be going black. On Malwarebytes, this is what it shows. However, im not sure what the next step is. Can you please explain to me what to do from here? User uploaded file

Sep 7, 2018 9:32 AM in response to jagoinpenarth

I can tell you guys what I was doing when this appeared. I was surfing the internet on Safari. Specifically I was on CBSSports.com reviewing my fantasy football team. Then Safari just... "closed." Not crashed, because usually you get a pop-up that says "Safari closed unexpectedly" or something like that. But Safari closed, then about 1-2 sec. later, up popped the "Apple wants to make changes." dialogue box popped up. And it stays on top of all applications. When I opened "Force Quit," no application appears. It also does not appear in the lower Application Dock. I haven't pushed cancel OR Ok for fear that selecting either one is a trap.

Sep 13, 2018 11:20 PM in response to jagoinpenarth

Like a novice idiot, I fell for this and entered my password after getting the "Apple wants to make changes" pop up. Then I checked the forums and found this thread. Needless to say I should have checked the forum first! Anyway, I have immediately changed my MAC access password. Then I ran Malwarebytes and deleted everything it detected. Then I cleared: Cache, history & website data. Here are a few links to help clean up your computer.

Free Antivirus Replacement & Anti-Malware Tool | Malwarebytes

https://nektony.com/blog/how-to-reset-safari-on-mac

https://macsecurity.net/view/188-remove-anysearchmanager-malware-from-mac

Sep 19, 2018 12:33 AM in response to jagoinpenarth

I tried this: disconnected from internet - entered wrong password - the pop up knew that password was wrong - I typed something similar to my password - still a no go - so finally I entered my correct password and the pop up knew that it was the correct password and went away. But it came back many times more. So whatever the malware is, it already knows your password.

Sep 19, 2018 3:51 AM in response to Amirnake

Hi Amimake. So when you typed the wrong password it knew? That is bizarre.. That would normally give me hope that it’s actually Apple, but if it keeps coming back even after you gave it the correct password that’s a big red flag. I mean what’s the point of the ask if it already knows your password? Like I said in my post earlier, I also typed in my real password but I also ran Malwarebytes. I have not seen the message since Malwarebytes isolated three files in quarantine. I’ve also changed my password to sign onto my Mac, and I’ve changed any passwords that even slightly resemble that password on other websites.

"Apple wants to make changes". Any idea what this is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.