Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 27UD88 4K Wake from Sleep Issues

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 13inch with Touch Bar connected to two LG27UD88 displays. I constantly have wake from sleep issues. The external displays will stay black and not wake properly after extended periods (5+ hours/overnight). The only real way I've been able to remedy the situation is to reboot the machine.

Most of the time when I open the laptop out of clamshell its display will also not wake up, unless I disconnect the external displays.

I am able to occasionally avoid the issue because I have hot corners turned on, and can sleep and wake the display by putting the mouse in the corner. When I do this I can force the laptop display to wake, and gracefully reboot the machine.

I have also seen screen/resolution scaling problems when waking from sleep, and all kinds of other graphics glitches.

I have seen these errors in the console when the displays are not waking properly:

error 14:51:14.574209 -0400 WindowServer [ERROR] - Fallback GPU Display Pipe transaction submission failed

error 14:51:08.201133 -0400 WindowServer [ERROR] - Driver bug - rowBytes too small. Display 0x4bc00002, ioModeID 0x80001013, ioModeDepth 0x1, bytePerRow = 32, width = 1, bitsPerPixel = 32, minRowBytes = 8192 stored width = 2048. Forcing minRowBytes (possibly still wrong).

Macbook SMC/PRAM has been reset.

LG Displays have the latest Firmware.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), i7,16GB, Dual LG 27UD88 4K Displays

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 8:13 AM

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201736

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2018 8:13 AM in response to EricMSchwartz

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201736

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Sep 7, 2018 7:33 AM in response to EricMSchwartz

I have a similar problem on a similar setup. I have tried doing the SMC/PRAM/NVRAM resets as well to no avail. I have also tried another suggestion of setting "Putting hard disks to sleep when possible" to off under the Energy Saver settings "Power Adapter" tab. No dice.

I have a MacBook Pro - No Touch Bar (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, Running High Sierra), with the same-ish LG monitor (I have the LG 27UD68P which is a bit different that the 27ud88). I have the i5, 8GB version, with the Iris Plus 640 graphics chip. I believe the one with touch bar and the i7 is the Iris Pro 655.

Maybe our similar issues might be able to help pin-point this maybe not.

How are you connecting - usb-c to usb-c, dongle to HDMI/DisplayPort or a usb-c to DisplayPort cable? Is your display being used as "Default for Display" or are you scaling?

I have used my LG 27UD68P with a Lenovo PC for a few years over DisplayPort and HDMI without issue.

My money is on the Intel Iris Pro 6XX Mac drivers. Unfortunately those drivers are baked into the OS and are not upgradeable unless you're doing a system upgrade to Mojave... That is if Mojave has a new driver.

For your case, I hope this gets resolved. Unfortunately I think I know what the end resolution is, and it doesn't make me happy - getting a new monitor or monitors in your case...

Sep 7, 2018 8:01 AM in response to ookz

Sounds very similar.

I’m using scaled resolution aka HiDPI mode for an effective resolution of 2560x1440.

I did notice the issues seem to happen less frequently when using the default resolution. But I purchased the monitors specifically for running them in scaled for more desktop space.

I started using USBC to USBC to both monitors. However I switched to USBC to DisplayPort cables. Issues still occur.

Sep 7, 2018 10:38 AM in response to EricMSchwartz

I am running USB-C to DisplayPort cables in a scaled mode as well effective res of 3008x1692.

I saw another post somewhere of moving from "USB-C to DisplayPort" to "USB-C to HDMI" solved their issue. I am going to swing over to MicroCenter and grab a USB-C to HDMI cable to try it out.

I am praying it is as simple and as cheap as this option.

I'll probably report back tomorrow as I want to give it adequate time to potentially fail.

Sep 7, 2018 11:58 AM in response to ookz

Good luck! Let me know how you make out.. I have a feeling it won't help.

Ive seen issues with my system when connecting through HDMI adapters, both Apple and other brands to TVs.

however I do believe that the system goes into a bad state with the LG monitors and then has issues with any external display after that point. but this is just hearsay at the moment.

Sep 9, 2018 12:12 PM in response to EricMSchwartz

Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to give it a bit more time before I responed.

~2 days - so far so good! I have done frequent sleeps/wakes, and hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, and ~24 hours. All at full 4K. The issue hasn't shown up yet. USB-C to HDMI seems to be a work around at least for me.

If you choose to go down this path you need to go into your monitors settings and enable "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color"

This is under Settings > Picture > Picture Adjust > HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color > On

If you don't turn that on your display will be stuck at 30Hz and you'll have a bad time.

I am not sure if it is wishful thinking or what, but it seems like my MBP is a bit more responsive even while hooked up to the second monitor via HDMI, even at 4K.

Hope this solves your issues!

Sep 13, 2018 12:05 PM in response to EricMSchwartz

So while switch to HDMI and enabling DEEP COLOR the whole system died and hard rebooted.

When it came back, this is what system preferences shows:

LG Ultra HD:

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DVI or HDMI

Adapter Firmware Version: 7.55

LG Ultra HD:

Main Display: Yes

Sep 13, 2018 12:07 PM in response to EricMSchwartz

LG Ultra HD:

LG Ultra HD:

Main Display: Yes

Sep 14, 2018 7:19 AM in response to EricMSchwartz

If I scaled the display outside of 4k or 1080p I would get it showing that my monitor was a crazy resolution it listed like 5k.

Here is my current report

LG Ultra HD:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

Adapter Firmware Version: 7.26

Have you had any wake issues since the hard crash?

Oct 5, 2018 7:41 AM in response to ookz

So been running with HDMI and my wake from sleep issues seem to be resolved.

had one issue connecting to an HDMI projector and had to reboot. The screen resolution was all messed up. the reboot resolved it.. but its still annoying.

but just tried to watch an iTunes purchased movie on my LG monitors and I'm getting HDCP errors and can't figure out how to resolve it.

LG 27UD88 4K Wake from Sleep Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.