Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes HDCP error on Macbook pro

Product Details

Macbook Pro 15, 2.7 GHZ I7, Intel HD 530, Radeon Pro 460

macOS 10.13.5

iTunes 12.7.5.9

So about an hour ago everything was working fine. I was able to watch movies/tv shows on my mac through iTunes.

I restarted my macbook pro (my desktop background had changed - not sure if relevant) and now whenever I try to play any purchased movie/tv show, an error shows up 'the selected film won't play on your display. This film can only be played on displays that support HDCP.'

If i turn off automatic graphics switching, I do not get the above message from itunes, but its a blank sreen.

I have noticed that Netflix and amazon prime also does not play on safari now, but it does on chrome.

P.S.

Playback on other devices are working fine. I have restarted my macbook multiple times.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), null

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2018 11:59 AM

**HDCP Errors iTunes\Safari fix**

Symptoms:

*You had to reset the PRAM on your Mac for whatever reason

*iTunes movies won't play. You either get a black playback window or an error related to HDCP.

*Hulu and Netflix movies won't play within the Safari browser.

*YouTube is unaffected by this.

*Hulu and Netflix still play within Chrome web browser.

*Windows 10 (VM nor Bootcamp) are unaffected by this bug

Fix (workaround):

*Boot into Recovery Mode on your Mac (command+R)

*Open terminal and type in the command EXACTLY as written:

nvram 8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c:epid_provisioned=%01%00%00%00

and then press RETURN

It will go back to the prompt. Type reboot and RETURN.

Use this information at your own risk. If this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should contact Apple support directly and have them walk you through this.

If you have to reset your PRAM again for any reason, this will have to be done again in order to restore functionality. Apple is aware of this and will likely provide some sort of update to perminantly fix this.

This is truly a workaround, not a fix. But it should provide you a fully functional Mac in the mean time

If this does not work for you. Please try this again and triple check what you have typed. This command is case sensitive and it will NOT throw up an error or success message to let you know the result.

Good luck and good day.

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2018 11:59 AM in response to ghgfuyfyg

**HDCP Errors iTunes\Safari fix**

Symptoms:

*You had to reset the PRAM on your Mac for whatever reason

*iTunes movies won't play. You either get a black playback window or an error related to HDCP.

*Hulu and Netflix movies won't play within the Safari browser.

*YouTube is unaffected by this.

*Hulu and Netflix still play within Chrome web browser.

*Windows 10 (VM nor Bootcamp) are unaffected by this bug

Fix (workaround):

*Boot into Recovery Mode on your Mac (command+R)

*Open terminal and type in the command EXACTLY as written:

nvram 8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c:epid_provisioned=%01%00%00%00

and then press RETURN

It will go back to the prompt. Type reboot and RETURN.

Use this information at your own risk. If this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should contact Apple support directly and have them walk you through this.

If you have to reset your PRAM again for any reason, this will have to be done again in order to restore functionality. Apple is aware of this and will likely provide some sort of update to perminantly fix this.

This is truly a workaround, not a fix. But it should provide you a fully functional Mac in the mean time

If this does not work for you. Please try this again and triple check what you have typed. This command is case sensitive and it will NOT throw up an error or success message to let you know the result.

Good luck and good day.

Aug 14, 2018 2:18 PM in response to ghgfuyfyg

I have the exact same issue. I rented a movie on iTunes and was able to watch it on my MacBook Pro 13-inch 2016 with MacOS 10.13.6 (17G65) (directly on the macbook´s display. I am not using any external monitor).

I paused the movie and tried to resume watching it on the following day and got the same error message as the one you are referring to. On top of that, since that day, Netflix doesn't play anymore on safari with Netflix's error message S7363-1260-FFFFD089. Netflix however does work on Opera/Chrome. I suppose those 2 error messages are related.

Please help me fix this!

Aug 19, 2018 8:15 AM in response to ingenieurgeneral

Hello,

What I know till now is that is a hardware problem. All my tests were done in a fresh installation with latest version of high Sierra and iTunes. Nothing else was installed. Another point that is looking to hardware is that same issue on Netflix/Amazon Prime with Safari. Also I just got feedback from a user on Reddit that his screen was replaced:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/95184o/hdcp_error_while_playing_itu nes_movie_on_2016/?st=JL0ZHT6M&sh=08ddc939

I don’t have Apple stores around me. But my suggestion is that you should go to one and ask for a hardware replacement.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2018 11:49 AM in response to JuanmiDuran

Thanks a lot JuanMi for your comment. Well I unfortunately don't have Apple Care and little time to go to a physical store... I'm surprised it's a hardware issue because my screen looks perfectly fine, but well, I've read the reddit comments and will do as you said and go to an Apple Store. I'm disappointed by Apple and the quality of my MacBook Pro this time...

Aug 22, 2018 1:50 AM in response to mattrogers

How many times already you made clean installations with HighSierra/Mojave? I think is an unneeded stress for the SSD.

I hope they won’t tell you in two days that you need to make the same test with a new local user as they did with me yesterday.

I can’t believe they already don’t know the problem and solution, but the behavior going step by step with basic and small steps is changing my mind and I m starting to think they are lost.

I talked with a friend that has the model without touch bar and no issue for him.

Aug 22, 2018 5:09 AM in response to JuanmiDuran

Fortunately, on this piece of hardware, I’ve only done a couple of clean OS installs so far.

I won’t hesitate to contact Executive Relations right back if they suggest something trivial and stupid in order to stall this any further.

I’ve made crystal clear that I don’t mind helping them get to the bottom of this, but don’t waste my time with low level tech support people that don’t know how to address this sort of thing.

Aug 22, 2018 6:32 AM in response to JuanmiDuran

I am from Taiwan.I repaired twice and replaced the motherboard and screen. But they still can't find a problem.

The maintenance engineer took the initiative to ask you to replace the 2018 macbook pro for you?

I have been repaired twice and the problem cannot be solved. But they only hope that I will keep it

In the middle, I also bought apple care.😠

Aug 22, 2018 6:50 AM in response to chengfrom高雄市

It's a really long story. But in short...I have seen this on a 2016, 2017 and 2018. Engineering wanted to capture my last computer, so I got yet another new one.

I never wanted or seeked getting a brand new replacement. I'm not a scammer. I'm merely a guy looking to get this problem resolved. I'm not suggesting the anyone on this thread is a scammer or trying to be, btw. Merely making the case that I am not. ;-)

Aug 22, 2018 6:56 AM in response to mattrogers

I know. On the Taiwan side, I saw that the mac that first encountered such a problem could be traced to the 2014 mac, but in the end it did not continue to discuss, so it was impossible to know how to deal with it. Asking customer service, customer service has encountered such a case, but can not know how to solve. Just keep going to repair

I think I will continue to discuss with the maintenance engineer. After all, I have not used the computer for the last time for half a month..... I am going crazy.

iTunes HDCP error on Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.