Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs Grayed Out In iTunes 12.8.0.150

Using iTunes 12.8.0.150 (as of 9/7/2018) and iPhone 8+

I've had songs in my playlists just simply become grayed out and not playable on my iPhone.

The songs play fine in iTunes on my iMac. They simply don't play in my phone. Oddly, I'll see them in my iPhone playlist, but if I click on the song to play it, it doesn't play and then disappears from my phone.

I'll include screen shots. Please don't judge my musical tastes! Lol!

Example 1:

User uploaded file

If I look at the same playlist in iTunes, those songs are fine, and they are checked. See example 2:

User uploaded file

I'm stumped. Why would they suddenly become grayed out.I haven't been monkeying around with my music. I back up about once a week and I sync probably every day with iTunes.

Another screen shot for info sake:

User uploaded file

And finally, this shot:

User uploaded file

Can anyone help me with this issue? I've read a few other suggestions in the community but they all seem to say, "Just make sure the music is checked.", or something similar. Which mine already is.

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 7, 2018 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 10:55 AM

You could try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour (including the troublesome greyed out tracks and/or dotted circles of stalled transfers). They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup (*) if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

(*) The downside with backup encryption is that if you forget the password when you need it again, which could be years later, you may need to invoke a workaround to turn off encryption as shown in Disable iOS backup encryption, which can only help if your device is in a state that can backup to iCloud, or runs iOS 11.

For added security you might also want to make an independent backup to iCloud and/or archive your current backup before you start.

FWIW I successfully used this method some time ago when Siri became unable to call contacts or play my music.

tt2

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2018 10:55 AM in response to McQ14

You could try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour (including the troublesome greyed out tracks and/or dotted circles of stalled transfers). They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup (*) if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

(*) The downside with backup encryption is that if you forget the password when you need it again, which could be years later, you may need to invoke a workaround to turn off encryption as shown in Disable iOS backup encryption, which can only help if your device is in a state that can backup to iCloud, or runs iOS 11.

For added security you might also want to make an independent backup to iCloud and/or archive your current backup before you start.

FWIW I successfully used this method some time ago when Siri became unable to call contacts or play my music.

tt2

Sep 20, 2018 11:29 AM in response to McQ14

I'm going to continue this thread because nothing has fixed the issue.

Of particular frustration is that within ONE playlist, in which all of the songs are from the same album, AND I bought that album through iTunes (meaning there shouldn't be any DRM issues or anything like that), WHY are some songs but not others grayed out on my iPhone 8+? There's no way only some of the songs should be grayed out from the same album, all bought in itunes!

The songs do not appear grayed out in the iTunes playlist I created on my iMac. Nor are they grayed out when I view them in the Song list in iTunes on my iMac.

But when I view them in iTunes on my iMac looking at my 8+ playlist they are grayed out. Only some of the songs, not the whole playlist.

I've deleted and re-created the playlist to no avail. I've checked, unchecked, re-checked the songs and playlist, to no avail.

Here's the screen shot of the playlist in iTunes on my iMac, looking at in in the context of my iPhone 8+.

Can anyone please recommend a sensible, non-nuclear solution to this? Thanks!

User uploaded file

Sep 9, 2018 8:59 AM in response to McQ14

I don't work for Apple. If I had an easier solution I would have offered it. I understand the frustration, I've been through it too. Things tend to go wrong when it is least convenient. I tend to leave rebuilding my devices to a free weekend and let the media restore happen overnight. You can let Apple know that iTunes isn't working as well as you would expect it to via Feedback - iTunes - Apple however this particular issue has been around for some time and Apple don't appear to be focused on fixing it. 😐

tt2

Sep 9, 2018 10:55 AM in response to McQ14

Something has gone wrong with the sync process. It happens sometimes. I don't know why. Tracks that should be on the device aren't working properly. Syncing repeatedly doesn't fix it. (It really should, but that isn't anything I can fix.) You may have some success if you sign out of your Apple ID on the device, and deselect all of the currently greyed out tracks, sync, then check them and sync again. Or it may take several attempts and still not fix things. I'm suggesting three simple steps that normally work while trying to make sure that you're aware things are never quite that simple, and give advice on how to reduce the risk of any data loss occurring if you follow them.

tt2

Sep 9, 2018 8:44 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok, tt2, my apologies. Bear with my response here, because I'm frustrated with this situation.

I responded the way I did because I've seen your solution posted a few times exactly as you posted it here, and it simply looked like an automated bot's response. Honestly couldn't tell whether or not it was a bot or a human (and your username only adds to the confusion, to be honest). I don't know if you work for Apple or are just a very smart, nice person answering this issue.

It appears to be the usual, "Just restore as new" solution, which, to me, is kind of an infuriating thing to do, as I've had to do it way too many times over the past ten years or so for my various iPhones.

So you'll have to pardon my skepticism and lack of wanting to once again restore my iPhone as new to solve something that: a) should never happen in the first place, b) should not happen over and over again, and c) should be much easier to resolve than going to the extreme of restoring my device as new.

It's frustrating to keep having iTunes issues, only to be told, "restore your device". How about Apple just fixes iTunes?

I have to also disagree with you that the three steps you suggest are simple. Maybe they are for you. I'm just an average iPhone user. I bought into the whole, "It just works" thing from Apple because I don't want to have to be at the level of an I.T. person in order to use my devices. I just want to use them and have them be reliable. It's why I stay away from PCs and Android devices, because to me, they are way worse.

So, to me, those steps aren't simple. They're a huge time killer and headache that only work temporarily. Every time I've done this it's taken an extremely long time and problems crop up again within a few months. I've restored so many iPhones as new so many times over the last decade that I could scream. It is only ever a temporary solution. Hence my "lack of enthusiasm" for your first response.

So, since you seem to be an actual human answering my dilemma, first, thank you for responding. Second, please try and put yourself in the shoes of the average dummy just wanting to use his phone. You're obviously way more advanced with these devices and systems. The last thing I want to do is go through that process of restoring as new because it never goes smoothly, always takes a long time, and never lasts long.

If there are any other steps I can take before "the nuclear option" I want to do them first. I hope you understand.

Sep 9, 2018 10:59 AM in response to turingtest2

Well, thank you again for replying. I'll obviously keep this solution handy for now and for future issues, as it seems it would take care of more than just this particular problem. Thanks for being patient. I'm just so ticked that this stupid problem even exists. I think iTunes will end up being the reason I finally just give up on Apple altogether. Because the whole thing about it "just working" really doesn't apply.

Sep 20, 2018 1:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

I signed out of iTunes on both my iMac and my iPhone, closed and reopened iTunes in both, and signed back in. No change noted in grayed out songs.

This is so weird. I'm continuing to see if I can find a common denominator among all of the grayed out songs, but so far I haven't nailed down anything other than they seem to have all been bought through iTunes/Apple. So none of them are brought over through third party apps, services, or from physical CDs. Maybe that is the only common denominator?

Sep 20, 2018 1:26 PM in response to rosygale

Not sure that would help (not that I'm averse to trying anything short of witchcraft at this point!). The songs in the example screen shotI posted are all from the same album, bought through Apple in iTunes and all have the same suffix, so if some are grayed out they should all be, hypothetically. I don't know. I'm baffled by this.

Songs Grayed Out In iTunes 12.8.0.150

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.