Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of the spree discount pop up on my iPhone 8

Can’t get rid of the spree discount website pop up on my iPhone 8 . I tried clearing my browser and that did not work . Thanks

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Sep 7, 2018 10:06 AM

18 replies

Sep 13, 2018 4:52 PM in response to an1949

an1949 wrote:

It’s malicious malware but disguises as a pop up. I’ve tried Clear history and Website data many ways and many times but they don’t work It always comes back. So now I use General/restriction/websites/limit adult content/ never allow spreediscount.com It will ask to allow the pop up , I just close the window and go on different thing. It happens to me when I open Yahoo reading some sport article. It’s Yahoo loss if it doesn’t take care of this issue because I go to different website don’t read Yahoo any more.

See: Dealing with Safari popups that won't go away

Sep 9, 2018 8:19 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I’m having the same issue. Cleared website data multiple times. Reset iPad. Restored iPad. Etc etc.

still as soon as I get back on the internet I get the spreediscount pop up. For me it’s happening on the Huffington Post site.

I was on the phone with Applet Support for a while today, because website data will clear, but a number of sites remain, although they show 0 bytes. Anyway, seems like the clear process should remove the listing as well as the data.

Not sure if it’s related, but this pop up nonsense is getting old.

Anyone have any better advice to get rid of this annoyance?

Sep 10, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Dave9061455

I wonder if there's ever going to be a real answer to this? Like how do we actually get rid of this? Is there a way to find out how we got it? I've tried clearing browsing history, but it comes back. I've deleted the last few apps I installed, but that didn't seem to work. I finally did install a pop-up blocker which worked for Safari but not Chrome or Firefox, so I installed a different one which seems to work for all 3. However, I'm not confident that it's off the phone, more like it's just getting blocked, but is there a way to make it not be there at all? Because sometimes a popup blocker won't let you load legitimate sites. Frustrating.

Sep 11, 2018 12:03 AM in response to Dave9061455

I started having this issue a few days ago and it's driving me crazy. I only get this pop up when I go to Yahoo sports on my iPad (Safari.) I've done a couple of things that seem to have helped but it's only been a day so who knows if it will last. First, I went to Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data. I typed in "spree" and the spreediscount link pulled up. Hit "edit" then "delete". I also went to Settings/Privacy and hit "Reset advertising identifier " Then I did a hard reset.

I've read recommendations to go to iCloud after completing the steps above and uncheck Safari so that it doesn't sync with other devices. Some people also say that unchecking "JavaScript" helps (Settings/Safari/Advanced) but I haven't done either of those.

Again, I did all of this yesterday and so far so good. I just hope it lasts.

Sep 11, 2018 1:48 AM in response to Dave9061455

This is the method that just worked for me. I hope it's permanent. This method doesn't require you to clear all your cookes or website data.

First, close the window that has been hijacked and quit the Safari app. Then, go to Settings>Safari>Advanced>Website Data. Type "spree" in the search box and you should see something like "spreediscount.com." Delete that by swiping to the left or select edit and then select the red box with the minus sign. Then, restart your iOS device (I was having this problem on an iPad). After your device restarts don't open Safari to see if the problem has been cured just yet. Before you do that, repeat the above steps and see if anything comes up when you do the "spree" search. If it comes up again, delete it again and restart your device again. I had to do this three times before it stopped showing up. Each time the data amount got smaller. Finally, the search revealed nothing related to spreediscount. Success! I'm now on they same eBay webpage that was being hijacked and it all looks good.

Good luck, everyone. I hope this helps.

Sep 12, 2018 6:30 PM in response to Dave9061455

Only happens with eBay for me, happened after downloading one or more of the following apps: AirBrush, Photo Editor, Visage Lab, Selfie Editor, and Retouch Me. Absolutely positive it was one of these because I have not added any other apps for a long time, while these were all within an hour of each other. Deleted all of them and later same day is when this problem popped up.

Definitely malicious malware.

Typical arrogant Apple BS with them not acknowledging issues that their users have. So far, nothing works long term for me.

Sep 12, 2018 8:33 PM in response to Bmango22

It’s malicious malware but disguises as a pop up. I’ve tried Clear history and Website data many ways and many times but they don’t work It always comes back. So now I use General/restriction/websites/limit adult content/ never allow spreediscount.com It will ask to allow the pop up , I just close the window and go on different thing. It happens to me when I open Yahoo reading some sport article. It’s Yahoo loss if it doesn’t take care of this issue because I go to different website don’t read Yahoo any more.

Sep 15, 2018 5:30 PM in response to Dave9061455

Sorry this is a long post. I’ve not yet mastered brevity.

I’ve has this issue on my iPad for about a week on eBay I cleared the website history. It came back. I did a factory reset. It came back. I kept redoing this Because it at least was a temporary fix.

This morning, while in Safari, I clicked on the ”layer” icon which shows all the tabs that are open. I noticed a list of sites below the tabs. I hadn’t seen this before. I looked closely and the only thing listed was the spree discount stuff. Above the list was a line. Above the line was a cloud icon, which made me wonder if it was being downloaded from an iCloud backup, which I thought I had turned off all uses of. Apparently not. Safari was set up to sync with iCloud, which apparently had a backup that was syncing to my iPad. I deleted the backup in the iCloud and turned off Safari using iCloud. Since I did that, it hasn’t come back.

I suggest checking you settings to see if your Safari is syncing to iCloud:

1. go to settings

2. click on your name

3. click on iCloud

4. A list of apps using iCloud will show up. If Safari is checked, unclick it (turn it off).

5. Clear your browser history as described in previous posts

You may want to delete your most recent backup, which may have the spree hiding in there. I suggest not letting Safari sync to iCloud to prevent anything like this from infiltrating your backups in the future.

How to get rid of the spree discount pop up on my iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.