Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac 27 inch OS support

Hello folks, I just found out that my 2011 iMac 27 inch will not be supported by Mojave. This machine was my first Apple product ever and has been great. I updated the ram to 16 GB and put in a 1 TB SSD drive and it is lightning fast. (Please excuse my ignorance in this matter, this machine has been problem free since I got it) My question is since I cannot upgrade to Mojave, how much longer can I keep this machine going? Is there any security issues I should be aware of? Will apps or programs not work? How long will this iMac keep preforming well?

The use of this iMac is used basically for writing reports using MS word, storing backups for my iPhone and iPad, storing pictures, surfing the web, listening to music, and sometimes FaceTime with friends.

Would any of these operations be affected by not being able to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your answer!!

Joe

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 8:29 AM

You can keep using your Mac as long as it works. High Sierra should continue to be supported with security updates for another couple of years and you can still continue to use it after that. The only difference will be that you won't receive the latest security updates.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 9, 2018 8:34 AM in response to macjack

Thanks macjack, I have a 2015 MB pro 15 inch that is my main work computer and most likely will upgrade my iMac in the next couple of years. Just wanted to know how long I can keep this iMac running. Another couple questions if I may?

Will updates to MS word, excel, etc... be affected by not being able to update my iMac OS to Mojave?

And when you say security updates, do you mean updates to the OS? I forgot to mention I'm running High Sierra at this time.

Thanks,

Joe

Sep 9, 2018 8:43 AM in response to jnajdzion

If you have 2 different Macs, then the 2015 should be good for upgrades for much longer than the 2011. The 2011 can be upgraded to High Sierra and I suggest you do that.

Yes, security updates are issued as updates to the OS.

AFA Microsoft Office updates, I don't think you would need them if you do not update your OS but I'm not that familiar with Office products.

Sep 9, 2018 8:47 AM in response to macjack

Thanks again macjack, this 2011 iMac started my journey into the world of Apple, my 15 year old daughter was the motivating factor, she said she wanted me to look "cool" at home while working, LOL, but I have never gone back to a pc since because of many factors including less viruses, malware, dependability and pure easy to use aka user friendly.

Sep 9, 2018 9:09 AM in response to jnajdzion

I've been using Apple since the Apple IIe in 1982. Never had a pc. The only time I had to use a pc, I wore gloves so I wouldn't pick up anything. 😝 Actually there are no known viruses that affect Macs. I've never used anti-virus software and recommend against it as it tends to muck up Mac OS and is a cure for a disease that doesn't exist. Likewise any so-called cleaning apps are also scams. Right now, I'm working on a mid 2010 iMac running High Sierra and plan to keep it quite a while, barring any unforeseen events.

Sep 9, 2018 9:39 AM in response to jnajdzion

Still using a 9-year old 27 inch screen iMac running three older operating systems.

My iMac consistently is runnng OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks and I still occasionally still need to use OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and have OS X 10.11.6 El CapitĂ n installed and updated with all apps updated as possible, but only use occasionally.

My iMac still does everything I need it to do everyday.

Still have updated third party Web browser support on all three OSes.

My Wife's 8-year old iMac is still running OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.

Does everything she needs it to do daily and still runs pretty fast, too!

She is, also, running up to date, third party supported Web browser.

So, can still get plenty of current uses out of that 2011 iMac model.

2011 iMac 27 inch OS support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.