Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Mp3 Version greyed out in Itunes

User uploaded file

This is what I am getting when I choose a video file to convert in Itunes for some reason.... 😕

I have changed the file type on the mp4 video to m4a, as I had read, and have changed the preferences to download mp3 -

User uploaded file

and I am still getting this greyed out mp3 option to try and convert the file to audio format. 😢

Can anyone please explain this to me?? 😕

Thanks in advance!!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 2:01 PM

14 replies

Sep 9, 2018 2:36 PM in response to zlloyd1

The article isn't accurate. They are using the term MP4 to describe a broad class of media formats which include .m4a/AAC audio. iTunes can only convert locally stored unprotected audio files from one format to another. It cannot convert or extract the audio component of a video file.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to post a link to the article twice. I'm sure there is better free software available should you need it.

tt2

Sep 10, 2018 5:25 AM in response to turingtest2

If it is incorrect, then so are several other similar articles that I found....

Also, as I stated before, I already found a way to do it elsewhere, so this question is no longer requiring an answer, despite the fact that it is disappointing to learn that Itunes cannot handle the conversion as it is advertised. 😮

As to why I posted the link twice, it was in response to two different postings!!

Nov 15, 2018 10:48 PM in response to zachqd

I’m guessing you’re attempting to extract the music from a music video of some kind? I used to do this, I’m trying to remember the program. VLC works well and it’s free. It has tons of functions.. You could try toast as well. When Apple upgrades it’s operating system, it tends to block third-party applications and replace them with their own. It also tends to drop some functionality from iTunes if there’s money to be made. This is why I never upgrade. Let me know how turns out.

Create Mp3 Version greyed out in Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.