Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing boot camp partition size

I have a MacBook Pro 10,1 (Retina Mid 2012) with I& processor, 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD of which I reserved 100GB for OSX and 150GB for BootCamp to run Windows 10. Frankly I purchased this laptop to be my Windows computer because of its high quality and reliability. It has worked flawlessly and I'm glad I made a great choice. After about 7 years of use, it still performs very well.

Now I'm running out of space in the BootCamp partition and am seeking advice about the easiest and most reliable way to increase available storage. As I understand, my options are:

a- Use Comptune or other 3rd party software to resize partitions and give BootCamp another 20GB. I understand that it is a risky process and won't give me a whole lot of space.

b- Use a SDXC card to add more storage (128G-256G). I'm not sure if it will seamlessly become another Windows drive. This may be the easiest but will it work and may I use any SDXC card?

c- Replace the current 250 GB SSD with a larger SSD and move all my content to the new storage. I do not want to have to reinstall Windows and all other applications.

Which of these would the experts recommend?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Apple BT keyboard A1016 mouse A1197

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 12:10 PM

Apple_NewBee wrote:

How about creating a BootCamp Windows image using Winclone, installing new, 500GB SSD, restoring OSX from a TimeMachine image, and then restoring Winclone Windows image?

This method will work.

Also, method b, adding the SD card and formatting it as NTFS will let it be used as additional storage, without touching anything on the 250GB SSD.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2018 12:10 PM in response to Apple_NewBee

Apple_NewBee wrote:

How about creating a BootCamp Windows image using Winclone, installing new, 500GB SSD, restoring OSX from a TimeMachine image, and then restoring Winclone Windows image?

This method will work.

Also, method b, adding the SD card and formatting it as NTFS will let it be used as additional storage, without touching anything on the 250GB SSD.

Sep 9, 2018 11:18 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you, Bob.

Had I titled my query correctly, it should've said "Making more storage space available to Windows under BootCamp". What I'm looking for is additional storage space for Windows. If I understand your reply correctly, my first option of resizing partitions is not practical since I'm not interested in reinstalling Windows and all my applications.

Changing boot camp partition size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.