Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K and Amazon Prime Video

I have an Apple TV 4K and while using the Amazon Prime Video app (version 1.0.5 / updated 08-16-2018), I am unable to stream shows or movies in 5.1 Surround Sound. The Prime Video help section states that 5.1 Surround Sound is available for the Apple TV 4K:

• Streaming Video Quality: SD, HD, and UHD/HDR (Apple TV 4K only)
  • Download Videos: No
  • Parental Controls: Yes
  • Subtitles: Yes
  • Auto Play: Yes
  • 5.1 Audio: Yes, available for most videos on Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (4th Gen)
  • Dolby Atmos: No
  • Live Streaming: Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th generation) only

In addition, the 5.1 banner is not displayed in the information area for any show or movie.

I have my Apple TV 4K audio settings set to "Best Quality Available" and Automatic Updates set to Auto.

Other apps such as Netflix, Showtime, etc., play 5.1 surround sound with no issues.

Thanks for any assistance!

Apple TV 4K, null

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 6:19 AM

It is an issue with the content that Amazon sends to you (and to all of us). No setting can fix what they don’t (want to) stream to you.

Finding ANY show on Prime that streams with 5.1 audio would prove that (Jack Ryan, Electric Dreams).

Most places in the app don’t show if a movie has 5.1 surround sound or not. And where it does show, the information is often false. Possibly they just don’t care for sound, or think their customers don’t care.

Use your ears, or watch the indicator on your receiver to determine 5.1 audio presence.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2018 6:19 AM in response to BentleyandSherman

It is an issue with the content that Amazon sends to you (and to all of us). No setting can fix what they don’t (want to) stream to you.

Finding ANY show on Prime that streams with 5.1 audio would prove that (Jack Ryan, Electric Dreams).

Most places in the app don’t show if a movie has 5.1 surround sound or not. And where it does show, the information is often false. Possibly they just don’t care for sound, or think their customers don’t care.

Use your ears, or watch the indicator on your receiver to determine 5.1 audio presence.

Apple TV 4K and Amazon Prime Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.