Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB tether hotspot not working Win10/iPhone 7

Good day,

I'm having an issue with the USB hotspot between my iPhone 7 and Windows 10 computer.

The iTunes install is fresh and up to date. The phone is also on the lastest update (11.4.1).

The problem I'm having is that iTunes can see the phone, but my computer does not see the phone as an internet connection. Looking at the adapter settings in the Network and Sharing Centre, when the phone is plugged by USB, it sees "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet". However, it says "Network cable unplugged".

I did some searching to fix this issue. I saw that there were some fixes that included updating the USB driver for the phone through files in C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple, restarting the Apple Mobile Device Service, among other fixes and nothing has worked for me so far.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

iPhone 7, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 12:18 PM

Greetings Qwertyisfun,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're unable to use Personal Hotspot with your iPhone connected to your PC via USB.

Let's have you review the following support article: If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

Specifically, let's have you review the troubleshooting suggestions provided by Microsoft from step 4 of the following section:

Connect your Windows PC to Personal Hotspot with USB

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your computer to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. If prompted, trust the device.
  3. Make sure that you can locate and view your iPhone or iPad in iTunes. If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your device, try a different USB cable.
  4. Follow the steps provided by Microsoft to check your Internet connection in Windows 10 or Windows 7.

Let me know how it goes from here.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 12:18 PM in response to Qwertyisfun

Greetings Qwertyisfun,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're unable to use Personal Hotspot with your iPhone connected to your PC via USB.

Let's have you review the following support article: If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

Specifically, let's have you review the troubleshooting suggestions provided by Microsoft from step 4 of the following section:

Connect your Windows PC to Personal Hotspot with USB

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your computer to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. If prompted, trust the device.
  3. Make sure that you can locate and view your iPhone or iPad in iTunes. If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your device, try a different USB cable.
  4. Follow the steps provided by Microsoft to check your Internet connection in Windows 10 or Windows 7.

Let me know how it goes from here.

Kind regards.

USB tether hotspot not working Win10/iPhone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.