Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win10 - USBC Tethering not working.

Hello everyone!

Recently there has been huge storms in my city and the internet constantly drops, which means I cannot work on my Windows-based desktop, therefore I need to "tether" the phone with the PC so I can continue.

So far what I have tried:

1) Installed iTunes alongside with all other stuff related to it.

2) Tried to automatically install the Windows driver as well as manually from (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers)

3) Update everything to it's latest version (Windows, Phone, iTunes..etc)

My suspicion is that tethering over USB-C is not supported thus I am here to ask if someone else had a similar issue. I am using the cable that came with the phone and it's hooked to the motherboard's USB-C slot, which is USB 3.2

p.s Motherboard is B450 Tomahawk Max, the phone is 13 Pro Max (yes, it has tethering, it has 5G connectivity and an unlimited 1gbps+ package)

Regards!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 6:47 PM

Hello,

Sadly the motherboard has no Wifi support, otherwise I would not even bother with the usb thing, aside from that I don't have PCI-e slots available for such card (thank you Nvidia), and the wireless (dongles) ones are not reliable as there is constant packet loss (in simplified words, in my country there are no high-end ones, the medium and cheaper ones just lag and from time to time I get disconnected from my VPN that I use to access the servers of the company I work at)

Either way, did some debugging and by the looks of it - it's a driver issue, whenever I try with a "USB-C" cable - the connection on Windows does not work, while on my MBP (again - with the same USB-C cable) works flawlessly.

If someone else is having this issue, just buy a Lightning-to-USB(A not C) cable and plug it to a 2.0+ port, it will work. At least that's what I did and it did the trick for me.

Regards!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 6:47 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello,

Sadly the motherboard has no Wifi support, otherwise I would not even bother with the usb thing, aside from that I don't have PCI-e slots available for such card (thank you Nvidia), and the wireless (dongles) ones are not reliable as there is constant packet loss (in simplified words, in my country there are no high-end ones, the medium and cheaper ones just lag and from time to time I get disconnected from my VPN that I use to access the servers of the company I work at)

Either way, did some debugging and by the looks of it - it's a driver issue, whenever I try with a "USB-C" cable - the connection on Windows does not work, while on my MBP (again - with the same USB-C cable) works flawlessly.

If someone else is having this issue, just buy a Lightning-to-USB(A not C) cable and plug it to a 2.0+ port, it will work. At least that's what I did and it did the trick for me.

Regards!

Win10 - USBC Tethering not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.