Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot upgrade to El Capitan from Snow Leopard

I have been using Snow Leopard (10.6.8) since 2010 because it is very stable and did not have any problems. However, now I need to upgrade to a newer Mac OS X (e.g. El Capitan) because new software does not support Snow Leopard any longer.

Now, the App Store on my MacBook Pro cannot sign in to my Apple ID probably because the Two-factor-authentication prevents it. Neither can iTunes anymore. Thus, I cannot get El Capitan. The problem appeared most probably when updated my old iPhone to iOS 9 and I also bought an iPhone 7. Thus, I cannot turn off the Two-factor authentication.

I have updated App Store with latest possible update but still cannot sign in with my Apple ID.

How can I debug this? Any ideas? Thank you in advance 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook Pro7.1 with Intel Core2 Duo

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Hi Eric, thanks a lot for your reply. The next day, I called Apple Center and a very helpful Supporter, Johan, guided me to do what you also are describing here. The solution to the issue of logging in the App Store of a Mac OS X 10.6.8 is to write username and password in the App Store but not press sign in yet. Instead, in your iPhone (I have iOS 11.4.1) or iPad in Settings, at the field of Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store, open Password & Security, then “Get Verification Code”. Now, write the 6-digit code without spaces immediately after the password in the App Store of the Mac and NOW press sign in. And, voilà, it works! I have installed El Capitan in my Mac and it works fine!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks a lot for your reply. The next day, I called Apple Center and a very helpful Supporter, Johan, guided me to do what you also are describing here. The solution to the issue of logging in the App Store of a Mac OS X 10.6.8 is to write username and password in the App Store but not press sign in yet. Instead, in your iPhone (I have iOS 11.4.1) or iPad in Settings, at the field of Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store, open Password & Security, then “Get Verification Code”. Now, write the 6-digit code without spaces immediately after the password in the App Store of the Mac and NOW press sign in. And, voilà, it works! I have installed El Capitan in my Mac and it works fine!

Sep 13, 2018 2:29 PM in response to arsenios

What happens when you try to sign in? Error message(s)?

For 2 Factor Authentication, if you see a password box, enter the password (ABC) followed by the code (123) or ABC123.

If necessary, contact iTunes Support. Either use the form or scroll to the bottom of the page in the 2nd link. Follow through the screens to get a chat or telephone option.

iTunes Support

iTunes Support – world wide

Sep 10, 2018 11:45 PM in response to Jabin_Winkle

Thanks for your reply. I think my MacBook Pro has the hardware that can support El Capitan. At least it matches, the criteria Apple requires for El Capitan (Intel core 2 duo, memory ok). If not possible to get El Capitan, is it at least possible to get a Mac OS X 10.8 update or else? For info, I can sign Apple ID on the web based platform but not on the App Store application on my Snow Leopard. This prevents me from downloading any apps not only a new Mac OS X.

I cannot upgrade to El Capitan from Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.