Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard to El Capitan upgrade

I have several apple devices at home (Apple TV, MacBook, iPhones, Mac mini etc ...) I would like to upgrade my Mac mini's OS X from snow leopard to El Capitan. My Apple ID has two factor authentication and my password does not work to sign in from snow leopard to download the os x, additionally I cannot disable the two factor authentication. I am in a loop . I appreciate it very much, if you can tell me how I can download the El Capitan or disable two factor authentication. PS I tried to access appleid and security section but It does not allow me to turn it off.

thanks

K

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 1:48 AM

On the old Mac have you tried entering your ID and at the end of that enter the code send to one of the newer devices that support two factor natively?

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

Above from:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2019 1:48 AM in response to keremerboke

On the old Mac have you tried entering your ID and at the end of that enter the code send to one of the newer devices that support two factor natively?

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

Above from:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Mar 22, 2019 1:23 AM in response to keremerboke

If your MacBook will run El Capitan and is new enough to have two factor authorization then you can download that to the MacBook and transfer it to the Minis. You can get El Capitan here

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

Also, regarding the payment method message, when is the last time you "purchased" something from the Mac App Store with that Apple ID? If not recently , "purchase" something and then try again on the Minis.

Mar 21, 2019 5:33 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your answer.

That is right...

I could login to the apple store from my old Mac Mini with snow leopard, when I added the verification code to the end of my password. But I could not download El Capitan with the same method. It requires me to upgrade the payment method and throw an exception as unknown error.

frankly I don't want to pay for additional 30$ to buy a new OS.

Snow Leopard to El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.