Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update macOS after Internet Recovery (which took it back to Mac OS X Lion) because two factor authentication!

So I installed a new SSD, installed the OS through Internet Recovery, which took it back to the original Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

Now I want to take it up to OSX El Capitan, but for that I have to sign in to the App Store, and I can't do that because two factor authentication is enabled. I can't get the verification code on my system, because this IS the system! Paradox!?

How do I proceed from here? I don't have any devices connected with this ID.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 1:19 PM

If you don't have any trusted devices you can use a trusted phone number to get the code if you have one or more set up. It can be any phone number including Androids and landlines. See: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Can't update macOS after Internet Recovery (which took it back to Mac OS X Lion) because two factor authentication!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.