Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change Date and time format in Numbers

I have downloaded an Excel file and opened it with numbers version 5.1 (5683) on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) but when I try to change the date or time format of the cell or column, nothing happens. I select the cell, go to inspector, select Cell Format - Date and time, select the desired format and nothing happens. When I click again on the cell, the format is still in Auto.

The file is showing date in MMM DD YYYY and time in HH:MMAM/PM and I'm trying to go YY-MM-DD and HH:MM, nothing too difficult. When I send the same file on my iPad, I can change the date and time format in Numbers for iOS no problem but it is an extra step that takes time and is annoying. Any suggestion about what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Numbers 5.1 (5683)

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 10:56 AM

It's possible you have your region settings are such that Numbers on the Mac isn't recognizing the dates as dates. You might try experimenting with changing those.

You can do that at the document level within Numbers at File > Advanced > Language & Region in your menu.

Or you may have to experiment at the user level at System Preferences > Language & Region or at System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced > Dates.

If none of that works, a short script can often be efficient in "fixing" the dates, but more specifics would be needed on exactly. what you are seeing after the import, perhaps a screenshot.

SG

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 10:56 AM in response to archieluis

It's possible you have your region settings are such that Numbers on the Mac isn't recognizing the dates as dates. You might try experimenting with changing those.

You can do that at the document level within Numbers at File > Advanced > Language & Region in your menu.

Or you may have to experiment at the user level at System Preferences > Language & Region or at System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced > Dates.

If none of that works, a short script can often be efficient in "fixing" the dates, but more specifics would be needed on exactly. what you are seeing after the import, perhaps a screenshot.

SG

Unable to change Date and time format in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.