Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted automatic screen dimming (MacBook Pro 2018)

Hello, owner of a brand new 2018 MacBook Pro here.

Since Day 1, my screen has been automatically dimming by 20-30% each and every time the computer either wakes from sleep or returns from a lock screen after a few minutes of inactivity. This is despite having "automatically adjust brightness" turned off in Display Settings. (Screenshot attached for confirmation.) This means that I need to use the touchbar brightness slider to manually increase brightness to a viewable level every single time I step away from the computer, which is quite irritating.User uploaded file

I have attempted to resolve by updating the OS and testing a new user account; this behavior still persists. I have seen other questions relating to similar issues going back several years, but there does not appear to be a clear resolution. Any advice? I would be very disappointed to see that this issue remains in the latest version of the OS and MBP line.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3)

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 6:17 AM

Greetings, mesocyclone.

I see that the display of your MacBook Pro dims considerably when it wakes from sleep or is unlocked. Great job in checking the settings and the other troubleshooting you've done, and I'm happy to help.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac -- Reset the System Management Controller. Follow the steps under "How to reset the SMC on Mac notebooks" for a nonremovable battery. Test the issue once you're back to the desktop.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac -- If resetting the SMC didn't resolve the issue, reset the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM) using the steps in this article.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2018 6:17 AM in response to mesocyclone

Greetings, mesocyclone.

I see that the display of your MacBook Pro dims considerably when it wakes from sleep or is unlocked. Great job in checking the settings and the other troubleshooting you've done, and I'm happy to help.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac -- Reset the System Management Controller. Follow the steps under "How to reset the SMC on Mac notebooks" for a nonremovable battery. Test the issue once you're back to the desktop.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac -- If resetting the SMC didn't resolve the issue, reset the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM) using the steps in this article.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Unwanted automatic screen dimming (MacBook Pro 2018)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.