Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To configure the built-in DHCP service

Mac has a built-in DHCP function. If you have an iMac, you could turn on the Internet Sharing function on the WiFi interface over the ethernet interface. By default, each host's IP is assigned via the built-in DHCP service of the iMac.

However, you can configure it as you wish. Just to modify this file via Xcode.

/private/etc/bootpd.plist

After turning on the Internet Sharing function on WiFi interface over the ethernet interface, we have this by default:

• The options under section "Subnets" could be modified as you wish to configure your DHCP service.
  • The "dhcp_enabled" section determines on/off of DHCP service. In my example, the network interface used for providing DHCP service is called "bridge100".

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 9:04 AM

It should be noted that the next version of Server.app is removing the DHCP server option from the Server.app.

See - Prepare for changes to macOS Server - Apple Support

However the wording does seem to suggest the underlying function is still going to be present and therefore it should be possible to manually configure as described by TomHsiung but you may also have to manually activate the matching launchdaemon to start it.

Whilst the user interface is being removed from Server.app I also am presuming that using Internet Sharing will as before automate using the hidden underlying bootpd software.

Frankly - as Apple clearly intend I have already moved away from using Apple's 'server' software as much as possible including for DHCP.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2018 9:04 AM in response to TomHsiung

It should be noted that the next version of Server.app is removing the DHCP server option from the Server.app.

See - Prepare for changes to macOS Server - Apple Support

However the wording does seem to suggest the underlying function is still going to be present and therefore it should be possible to manually configure as described by TomHsiung but you may also have to manually activate the matching launchdaemon to start it.

Whilst the user interface is being removed from Server.app I also am presuming that using Internet Sharing will as before automate using the hidden underlying bootpd software.

Frankly - as Apple clearly intend I have already moved away from using Apple's 'server' software as much as possible including for DHCP.

To configure the built-in DHCP service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.