Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet and wi-fi simultaneously on my Mac

I have a Mac Studio, a Virgin Media Hub 3 (in modem-only mode connected to a TP-Link Deco X6 wi-fi 6 mesh unit). I want to use ethernet connection on the Mac only but when I do this it seems to close down the wi-fi that many other devices are connected to. I know one option is to turn the Mac into a wi-fi hotspot but the speeds are slower. How can I set up the ethernet for the Mac and everything else on wi-fi, retaining the excellent speed and reach of the wi-fi 6 mesh network?

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 3:43 PM

As Barney said, you can activate both Ethernet and WiFi for your Mac. Then open Network Preferences and you will see this.

(Yours should show both Ethernet and WiFi as "connected" with green dots for both)

Click on the circle with three dots in it (just to the right of the + and - options) and set the order for that Mac to use Ethernet first. It will be connected to WiFi also but will use Ethernet for its internet. Other computers can use WiFi.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 3:43 PM in response to bumpynight

As Barney said, you can activate both Ethernet and WiFi for your Mac. Then open Network Preferences and you will see this.

(Yours should show both Ethernet and WiFi as "connected" with green dots for both)

Click on the circle with three dots in it (just to the right of the + and - options) and set the order for that Mac to use Ethernet first. It will be connected to WiFi also but will use Ethernet for its internet. Other computers can use WiFi.

Aug 14, 2022 4:28 PM in response to bumpynight

To which device do you have your Mac's wired ethernet connected (Virgin Media vs. TP-LInk)?

If your layout is as follows then you should connect your Mac to one of the gigabit ports on the TP Link device:

Internet service provider <--> Virgin Media device in modem mode <--> TP Link mesh device <--> in-home network

Also,

WiFI should be turned off in the Virgin Media device (only the TP Link Mesh unit should be serving WiFi)

All client devices (wired & WiFI) should connect to the TP Link device

Which of the 2 devices do you have acting as your DHCP server? It should not be both.

Ethernet and wi-fi simultaneously on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.