Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get internet on a second Mac that does not have WIFI?

My Mac Pro (with 2 Ethernet ports) is connected to the internet via a modem using one of the two ports. Can I connect a Power Mac G4 (does not have WIFI) with an Ethernet cable to the second port on my Mac Pro to share the internet? Thank you for your reply.

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 3:17 PM

When you configure the Mac Pro for Internet sharing, the Mac Pro will load a little software Router, and will arrange to get the downstream devices valid local IP addresses. So your downstream devices will "magically"acquire a good local IP address via DHCP, and downstream devices' packets will be forwarded toward your main Router.

So the remote device just has to use DHCP (not manual addressing) as usual. (Once you see what IP addresses the downstream devices get, you may be able to fiddle around and do some manual addressing, if needed).

I think whether it does another level of Dynamic Address Translation may depend on your network topology, but it should "just work" regardless of what IP Address appears on the downstream device. The only one to fear on the downstream devices is the self-assigned range: 169.254.xxx.yyy which says "nobody will talk to me".

here is a very brief Apple article on the subject:

Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 3:17 PM in response to Walter Wedler

When you configure the Mac Pro for Internet sharing, the Mac Pro will load a little software Router, and will arrange to get the downstream devices valid local IP addresses. So your downstream devices will "magically"acquire a good local IP address via DHCP, and downstream devices' packets will be forwarded toward your main Router.

So the remote device just has to use DHCP (not manual addressing) as usual. (Once you see what IP addresses the downstream devices get, you may be able to fiddle around and do some manual addressing, if needed).

I think whether it does another level of Dynamic Address Translation may depend on your network topology, but it should "just work" regardless of what IP Address appears on the downstream device. The only one to fear on the downstream devices is the self-assigned range: 169.254.xxx.yyy which says "nobody will talk to me".

here is a very brief Apple article on the subject:

Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Walter Wedler

a Mac can share its internet connection only over a medium that is otherwise unused. You can't share your Wi-Fi over Wi-Fi, for example.

but if one of the Ethernet connections on your Mac Pro is unused, YES, you can share your internet connection out to other devices over the unused Ethernet port.

What your Mac does is load a mini software Router, Create a new IP address for the Outward-looking side of the Ethernet port, and try to connect to any devices there. The IP address shown on the Mac Pro for that port will continue to be a "self-assigned" IP address, and that is NOT a problem. it presents a unique valid local IP address to the remote devices.

From memory, I think it defaults too 192.168.200.1, but that is Not what shows on the Mac Pro.

How to get internet on a second Mac that does not have WIFI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.