Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect my new Mac to internet when I have both Suddenlink Cable internet and a wifi router.

Do I connect my new mac ethernet cable to the wifi router or Suddenlink Cable Modem/router?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 12:23 PM

It's a personal choice. They both work equally well with up-to-date equipment.

Connect to the internet with your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If connected to the modem, you'll likely be the only device "on the internet" as your Mac is using the one available port.

The router connected the modem allows for multiple wireless devices to connect to the internet via the router. Most wireless routers also have Ethernet ports.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 12:23 PM in response to Leigh028

It's a personal choice. They both work equally well with up-to-date equipment.

Connect to the internet with your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If connected to the modem, you'll likely be the only device "on the internet" as your Mac is using the one available port.

The router connected the modem allows for multiple wireless devices to connect to the internet via the router. Most wireless routers also have Ethernet ports.

How to connect my new Mac to internet when I have both Suddenlink Cable internet and a wifi router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.