Question:

Question: how to remove weknow.ac virus

My Mac Book is infected with weknow.ac virus. How can remove this virus?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Thank you a lot. You saved my day!

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 3:59 PM in response to udayfromwalnut In response to udayfromwalnut

My mom had this virus and was unable to remove it. I was helping her and tried everything I could, plus she spoke with three Level 2 Apple techs and in the end, they could not help, but FINALLY, these instructions solved the issue. This was posted by Skanson on another post. I changed around the instructions just a bit to make them more clear. If you have tried the other stuff and cannot remove the virus try this. It has worked for me and others.

"weknow.ac" changes a group of Chrome policies so as to set a new default homepage, new tab behavior, etc. You can see your current Chrome policies by typing chrome://policy/ into your URL bar. If you're infected, it should be very obvious as the half-dozen or so policies changed by weknow will be displayed.

Use the command line to delete / modify the affected policies. You do this by opening up "Terminal" and copy and paste each of the following entries below. I did each one at a time. I copy and pasted the first line and then hit enter and then went to the next until I had finished all 6 below:

defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false

defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"

defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName

Quit Chome and restart it and voila the virus will be gone. I tried everything and 3 phone calls with Apple and this was the only thing that worked.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 3:59 PM in response to udayfromwalnut In response to udayfromwalnut

My mom had this virus and was unable to remove it. I was helping her and tried everything I could, plus she spoke with three Level 2 Apple techs and in the end, they could not help, but FINALLY, these instructions solved the issue. This was posted by Skanson on another post. I changed around the instructions just a bit to make them more clear. If you have tried the other stuff and cannot remove the virus try this. It has worked for me and others.

"weknow.ac" changes a group of Chrome policies so as to set a new default homepage, new tab behavior, etc. You can see your current Chrome policies by typing chrome://policy/ into your URL bar. If you're infected, it should be very obvious as the half-dozen or so policies changed by weknow will be displayed.

Use the command line to delete / modify the affected policies. You do this by opening up "Terminal" and copy and paste each of the following entries below. I did each one at a time. I copy and pasted the first line and then hit enter and then went to the next until I had finished all 6 below:

defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false

defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"

defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL

defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName

Quit Chome and restart it and voila the virus will be gone. I tried everything and 3 phone calls with Apple and this was the only thing that worked.

Sep 25, 2018 3:59 PM

Reply Helpful (38)

Oct 12, 2018 9:53 AM in response to brittier826 In response to brittier826

brittier826 you responded to me but I typed the directions on how to solve this on Chrome. No need to contact Google. The directions are above. You can see how it worked for many people already and they were appreciative.

Oct 12, 2018 9:53 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Oct 17, 2018 8:07 PM in response to ChanelCinq In response to ChanelCinq

Thank you so much for typing out the steps and commands. I spent the whole day clearing the we-know and it was still messing up the Chrome. I tried MalwareByte and CC something and I agree with the above that installing more stuff is adding to the confusion, and want money to fix the problem -I wouldn't know what they are doing with my Mac either. So relieved.

Oct 17, 2018 8:07 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 25, 2018 1:14 PM in response to ChanelCinq In response to ChanelCinq

I just spent over an hour on the phone with mac support. We were able to remove weknow.ac from Safari but not from Chrome. I used the suggestions above and it worked like a charm (once I figured out where Terminal is (for those of you who don't know, go to Finder, Applications, Utilities, Terminal). Thank you!!!

Oct 25, 2018 1:14 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: udayfromwalnut

Question: how to remove weknow.ac virus