Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating a bootable drive from .dmg

I'm trying to create a bootable drive from the El Capitan disk image I was able to download, I've found many articles on how to do so but the instructions are not compatible with what I have on my computer. Many sites say I have to go into Applications and find the installer, which is not there. How do I get the installer into Applications? Opening the dmg places what looks like an installer on my desktop which I cannot move into Applications and upon clicking it opens a finder window with a .pkg

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 2:11 PM

Just to add, you can't create a bootable installer from a disk image. You need to have or download the El Capitan installer.

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

If your Mac can run High Sierra you can not download El Capitan unless you downloaded it previously. If you have, you can download it again from the Purchased tab in the App Store.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2018 2:11 PM in response to jleefish

Just to add, you can't create a bootable installer from a disk image. You need to have or download the El Capitan installer.

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

If your Mac can run High Sierra you can not download El Capitan unless you downloaded it previously. If you have, you can download it again from the Purchased tab in the App Store.

Sep 13, 2018 1:16 PM in response to jleefish

Bootable USB Installers for OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra

First, review this introductory article: Create a bootable installer for macOS. Second, see this How To outline for creating a bootable El Capitan installer. Simply replace the Terminal command with the one from the preceding article by copying it into the Terminal window. You will need an 8GB or larger USB flash drive that has been partitioned and formatted for use with OS X.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfg.'s ID and size) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. Name the drive, "MyVolume". <---- IMPORTANT!
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and wait for the Done button to activate. When it does click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Create Installer

Open the Terminal in the Utilities' folder. Choose the appropriate command line (in red) depending upon what OS X installer you want. Paste that entire command line from below at the Terminal's prompt:

Command for macOS High Sierra:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

Command for macOS Sierra:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Command for El Capitan:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

Command for Yosemite:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app

Command for Mavericks:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app

Press RETURN. You will be asked for your admin password. It will not echo to the Terminal window. Then press RETURN again. Wait for the return of the Terminal prompt signifying the process has completed. It takes quite some time to finish. Be patient.

creating a bootable drive from .dmg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.