Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Apple Watch 4 support MFI hearing aids?

Will the Apple Watch 4 be able to connect to Made for iPhone hearing aids?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 6:16 PM

13 replies

Oct 5, 2018 6:22 AM in response to Luga24

According to everything I’ve read MFI Hearing Aids do use Bluetooth on the 2.4 band.

“Manufacturers need only ensure that their accessory product incorporates a radio operating in the 2.4 GHz band, that it adheres to the Bluetooth standard (the reader is referred to the

5-part “Bluetooth 101” series for background on Bluetooth wireless technology) and that it supports the Bluetooth headset profile. In this way, the wireless accessory can be used to accept the phone signal via 2.4 GHz-based Bluetooth, translate the signal to whatever wireless technology is used by the hearing aids, and relay the signal on to the hearing aid” http://canadianaudiologist.ca/hearing-aids-made-for-iphone/

See also

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201466

Do you have other technical info on this?

One of the issues seems to be the Hearing Aids operate at low signal levels like -60 to 90dB. That’s way it’s sometimes helpful to stream in mono to the HA’s

The Apple Watch 4 operates at -4o to -60dB

Oct 1, 2018 3:27 PM in response to ◄Dave►

I guess you mean direct from watch to HAs without a phone being involved, which is how it works with Apple Watch 3 and earlier.

I think if the Watch 4 had this much sought after capability it would be in the specs.

There have been threads about this and why it is not as simple to implement as it sounds. All to do with Bluetooth low power protocol (as used by the earbuds). Hearing Aids are more more powerful than earbuds and don't use the low power protocol so would need much more battery capacity. Even with low power protocol earbuds only last a few hours before needing charging, and we would need to have rechargeable HAs or change batteries much more frequently. The Apple Watch used as an LTE phone has short usage. I am not sure I fully understand the subject but enough to see that it is not simple.

Oct 4, 2018 2:50 AM in response to Luga24

I have Oticon Opn aids, with the new Apple Watch 4. They do not pair direct to the watch.

With my phone nearby, I can use some normal functionality (as the aids connect to the phone still, and divert the audio). This is semi-useful if my phone is in my pocket - I can access my iPhone music library from my watch, to play music to the hearing aids.

I am not sure what the technical reason behind this omission is, or if it is for Apple or Oticon to fix. I had thought as the hearing aids use 2.4ghz bluetooth band, it would pair to watch or phone regardless. I hope someone from Apple can respond to this and share their insight.

I would like a definitive answer on why this does not work - and if the only option is to purchase the Oticon ConnectClip?

On the comment below on battery life - I use my hearing aids with my phone every day, and stream music and phone calls several hours every day. I change my hearing aid batteries every 4-5 days with this usage. I would love to be able to leave the house without my phone though, and still enjoy this connectivity directly with my watch.

Oct 4, 2018 6:22 PM in response to malk0

Agreed. The AppleWatch pairs with traditional bluetooth headsets which makes me think that power drain on the watch itself is not the limiting factor either. I haven't tried to pair my ConnectClip with the watch (I'm sure that works) as I don't see the value of one more thing to charge and carry around if the whole point is to leave the phone behind... Perhaps the fact that MACOS also doesn't support MHFI hearing aids natively means that this is a design choice maybe driven by other "more important" features to focus development resources on....

Oct 5, 2018 1:37 AM in response to Luga24

You may be right, I don't know. Personally I don't believe Apple have chosen deliberately to block capability which could just be be turned on. I think the issue is hearing aid battery life/capacity, and that the ball is the hearing aid manufacturers court, but I could be wrong!

If you google Bluetooth-low energy-hearing aids-Apple-Watch, you get some interesting articles. One of these is this article https://www.hearingaidknow.com/apple-watch-works-with-hearing-aids-iwatch which implies you are right. It is includes this:

"Quick addendum here, a guy named Richard Theriault from Los Angeles was onto us about the Apple watch and it's streaming capabilities. In essence, Richard wanted to use his Apple Watch as the microphone when he took calls. So when he was in the car etc, he could talk easily to his watch. This is a feature with the Apple watch when you have their new iBuds connected. However, for some reason Apple have blocked this feature for hearing aids? Richard has a pair of Halo 2s (which he really likes) and he spoke to Starkey Support about it. They told him that their system is enabled for it but Apple doesn't allow it. Seems really odd that Apple would do that and I hope to follow up and ask them why? It would seem like a pretty cool feature. Richard was further talking to us recently and he said "I since have had many a conversation with Apple and they informed me that they are listening and recommend others interested in streaming to the hearing aids while using the watch as the microphone send them an email to: accessibility@apple.com"

So we should all email accessibility@apple.com to ask for it.

I have done that....can't do any harm!

Oct 5, 2018 3:58 AM in response to mikebhm

I would hate to think that Apple wants to increase sales for the AirPods, which are no substitute for hearing aids.

Write Apple, blog about it, Tweet about it. Get the word out.

In 2019 Apple will have Hearing Aid competition from Android as the first native connection hits the market. Yes Made For Android hearing aids are coming. Maybe that will get Apple moving to close the ring.

Whats really strange is that the Watch is now being marketed to Boomers - move over Millennials. Heart diagnosis and falls detection are not for young people. Seniors are more likely to wear hearing aids. The Watch with Cellular and MFI (W) makes a cost effective replacement for that emergency dongle for seniors.

Oct 5, 2018 5:45 AM in response to stephen177

There is one significant technical difference between HAs and the AirPods and that is that the AirPods transmit sound over Bluetooth for full headset functionality. I can certainly see how HA's would need additional functionality and power to be able to do the same. In my mind that doesn't keep the AppleWatch from being able to treat HAs as simply headphones the same as the iPhone.

The argument for marketing the watch to boomers (which presumably have an increasing need for HAs) is a very good one. I'm hoping its just a matter of time....

Oct 5, 2018 6:28 AM in response to stephen177

stephen177 wrote:

I would hate to think that Apple wants to increase sales for the AirPods, which are no substitute for hearing aids.

Write Apple, blog about it, Tweet about it. Get the word out.

In 2019 Apple will have Hearing Aid competition from Android as the first native connection hits the market. Yes Made For Android hearing aids are coming. Maybe that will get Apple moving to close the ring.

Whats really strange is that the Watch is now being marketed to Boomers - move over Millennials. Heart diagnosis and falls detection are not for young people. Seniors are more likely to wear hearing aids. The Watch with Cellular and MFI (W) makes a cost effective replacement for that emergency dongle for seniors.

Oct 5, 2018 6:36 AM in response to stephen177

I can't believe Apple could be mistaken enough to think that providing the HA-to-watch link would cannibalise AirPods sales! Who would even think to take out HAs and put in AirPods for a phone call, apart from the fact the HA output is much greater than AirPods, so would be inadequate for most of us.

Yes it will be interesting to see if any Made-for-Android HAs have a direct link to any watches, and what effect it has on Apple and MFIHA manufacturers. It would be a big enough factor for some to switch.

Will the Apple Watch 4 support MFI hearing aids?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.