Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete podcast episode instead deletes all episodes

I upgraded to iTunes for Windows 12.9.0.167 and now the podcast delete functionality is misbehaving. It used to be that you could right-click on a podcast episode and select "Delete from Library". This would delete the local file and remove it from the UI, so that the only ones visible were the ones you had curated to keep around.

With the new version, when I try to delete a podcast episode, it instead deletes the files for *all* episodes of that podcast. This is clearly wrong behavior. If I wanted to delete the entire podcast, I would expect that behavior from right-click on the podcast title, not from an individual episode.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 7:15 PM

I've seen this now. It only affects podcasts when using the classic list view to delete from the library. If you read the prompt, assuming you haven't suppressed warnings, it will ask you to confirm that you want to remove the entire series, which ought to allow an opportunity to back out before the damage is done. I've submitted a bug report about it.

Workarounds: Use View > View As > List and/or Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset Warnings.

User uploaded file

tt2

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2018 7:15 PM in response to ralf.haring

I've seen this now. It only affects podcasts when using the classic list view to delete from the library. If you read the prompt, assuming you haven't suppressed warnings, it will ask you to confirm that you want to remove the entire series, which ought to allow an opportunity to back out before the damage is done. I've submitted a bug report about it.

Workarounds: Use View > View As > List and/or Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset Warnings.

User uploaded file

tt2

Sep 14, 2018 7:15 PM in response to turingtest2

The warning that appears is ambiguous. "Do you want to move the selected podcast to the Recycle Bin, or keep it in the iTunes media folder? Only files in the iTunes Media folder will be moved to the Recycle Bin. Cancel / Move to Recycle Bin / Keep File". "podcast" can be read to mean podcast series or podcast episode, but the fact that the user initially selected a single episode as well as the use of the singular "file" on the button and in conjunction with the previous behavior having been consistent for years before, strongly suggests to the user that the expected behavior will apply only to one episode. I expect even if the warning were worded more strongly to apply to the entire series, most people would not expect that behavior given the standard way the OS works. When people delete a file, no one expects the entire parent folder and all its contents to disappear! Thanks for raising the bug.

Sep 21, 2018 4:08 PM in response to ralf.haring

yes...did a restore point on 9-18-18 and updated today and it deleted as you said.

call apple support and they know nothing. sent me to mac support and they were no help

did a restore but did not work go 12.9 back.

called and asked them if I had to uninstall 12.9 and they said no.

did 2nd restore from 9-18-18 and got old iTunes but had to remove iTunes from music folder and

reload last weeks back up library cause got err of cant open files they were created in newer version.

pain. I usually wait for awhile before trying a new update. this one was bad. whoever did trial run messed up

OR they just did not bother to check it out.

delete podcast episode instead deletes all episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.