Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" (2018) Keyboard "t" key repeating issue?

I bought a new MacBook Pro 15" (2018) last week and have been absolutely loving the computer. As an academic, I do a ton of typing and have actually found the keyboard quite enjoyable to the touch.

Recently however I noticed a strange issue popping up infrequently where it feels like the "t" key on my keyboard will repeat when pressed. That means certain words "tthat normally dontt have multtiple" t's appear like so while typing. At first I thought maybe I was pressing the keys incorrectly, or subtly too quickly since I do type quite fast, which led me to testing out different key press pressures and angles. I find that if I slightly press the 't' key on its left side edges, or if I roll my finger over it, it will duplicate the tt issue.

I know this was one of the many keyboard issues that plague the 2017 MacBook Pro + TouchBar models but I thought surely this could not be the case with the newly updated 2018 models...I reached out to Apple Support which suggested I reset the SMC & NVRAM, but the problems persisted after this. Today, I used compressed air and noticed that while the t issue seemed to be resolved, it immediately resumed a short while after.

Do I have a faulty device? Will this need to be repaired or returned? Pretty unsure what to do since the issue becomes quickly annoying and adds considerable time to my writing and editing.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 5:08 PM

195 replies

Sep 16, 2018 11:14 AM in response to AnthoU

Hi ​AnthoU,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with the "T" key on your Mac's keyboard. I also see that you've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, as well as cleaning the key, but the issue persists. I can see why you'd reach out for assistance with this; I'd like to help. I'd recommend using the steps below to test for this behavior in a new user on your Mac:

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

If the issue doesn't happen in the other account

If the issue doesn't happen in the new user account, the issue is related to the settings or files in your own account.

If you need help with a specific alert or issue, search the Apple Support website for the text of the alert. If the issue happens in only one app in your account, it might be related to one of that app's settings. Check the app's documentation or support website for help.

You can remove the new user account when you're done testing. Follow the steps for creating a new account, but click the Remove button (–) instead of the Add button (+). Before removing the account, make sure that you don't need any of the files or settings you created or copied in that account.

If the issue happens in the other account

If the issue happens in the other user account:

If you need more help with a software or hardware issue, contact Apple Support. Be sure to mention any steps you've taken, and the results of those steps. Also mention any alerts or other messages you've seen as part of the issue. You can take a screenshot of the message, so that you can refer to it later.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If you're still having trouble after working through those steps, I'd recommend having your Mac evaluated at a nearby Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider: Find Locations

Best Regards.

Feb 28, 2019 12:16 PM in response to DPJ

@DPJ,

1. Confirm the issue
  2. Stop offering to use condensed air to clean keyboard. It's ridiculous, nobody eats burgers over $3K laptop. This solution helped zero people. Same for reseting SMC - doesn't help.
  3. Extend MacBook service program for 2018 MPBs (https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/)
  4. If it's software issue - release an update
  5. If it's hardware issue - solve this issue once and for all.

It's a keyboard, not a photon rocket.

Nov 5, 2018 8:47 AM in response to AnthoU

I have the same problem!!!

When the upper edge of the t keycap is pressed, the phenomenon of key repeating happens frequently. For example, "perfectt", "tthinking". t has the highest probability of repetition, and r sometimes repeats.

I bought a new machine in August 2018, I met this keyboard problem, then Apple changed a new machine to me and I encountered this problem again recently! That means two of my machine met this keyboard repetition problem.

The third version of butterfly keyboard does not improve at all! Please fix it.

Nov 13, 2018 6:21 PM in response to AnthoU

I am on my 5th 2018 13" MBP and all 5 have had this problem. Always starts about 1 week into using the computer and always starts with the 'e' key and then migrates to the 't, s, r' keys. I am at a total loss and don't know what to do. Apple seems to say that they haven't heard from anyone but me that this is happening with their 2018 keyboards, but here I am reading on this page that others are also having this issue.

Please Apple, let us know when this will be fixed.

Nov 14, 2018 8:18 AM in response to Anand Sai

I hope that you back up your data daily or keep it in the cloud. Also, I justt saw this 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program - Apple Support

Some early 2018 MBP have a problem that could cause you to lose data - Click the link above and enter your serial number to see if your machine is part of the repair program.

I would really love to know if others brought their computers in for the repeating keys issue, and if so, what were you told?

Nov 28, 2018 3:22 PM in response to AnthoU

Quick update here (that isn't someone without a MBP18 complaining about the product) to my original reply (Re: MacBook Pro 15" (2018) Keyboard "t" key repeating issue?):

I went ahead and attempted to request a refund, even though I was on day 16 with my refurb. Apple was extremely helpful with returning my unit even outside of the 14 day return period and even offered to extend the return period further while I waited for a replacement. I ended up getting a new version of the exact same SKU thanks to Cyber Monday deals and made out with a decent discount.

While waiting for my new unit, I continued to use the refurb with double-registering keys (esp. the 't' key). I felt that the frequency of double keys increased slightly over the week or so I continued to use it, but I can't say for sure that this was real or imagined.

But I am happy to report that the new unit does not (knock on wood!) have any double-keypress issues so far! I'd recommend anyone experiencing the issue to just go ahead and get a replacement or repair if possible. Despite the aforementioned class action lawsuits, and Apple's 4-year service program for 16/17 keyboards, the failure rate is obviously not 100%.

Jan 17, 2019 2:31 AM in response to AnthoU

Used Apple program (active for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.), battery and keyboard are brand new and working fine.

Don't try anything else, wont work. https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

I'm in Italy. At an Apple reseller they scan my Mac, was entitled for the program, left it with me (I have to work), in 3 days the top case arrived and they changed also the battery. In 2 hours.

Feb 23, 2019 12:55 AM in response to AnthoU

I have the same problem, but with MacBook Air 2018. It looks like the keyboard hasn't been fixed. The faulty key in my case is E. It causes 3 problems:

• sometimes it doesn't type at all
  • sometimes it double-types, so pressing E types "ee"
  • sometimes it types with a delay, so typing "apples" will type "applse"

It's unacceptable, this issue adds a lot of work and makes you need to read what you type carefully. Never had this problem on Air 2013.

Apr 6, 2019 1:34 PM in response to AnthoU

I just got a 13" i7 refurb that may have been turned in for this reason. My problem was (possible still is) the "t". As someone up-thread mentioned, easing the keyboard delay and repeat speed back one or two ticks from the min/max helps a great deal. It possibly fixes it. I'm writing this post without much of a problem, it's warm but not "hot".

However, I've seen this behavior before. Back when I was still using KDE on a desktop, the state of KDE 5 had declined to such a dismal state that the key bounce filtering stopped working. Somebody messed up a library or something and as the giant trash pile of bug reports got continually ignored, I was at a loss as to what to do. Switching to XFCE fixed the problem and I haven't used KDE since. From observing the behavior of my new Macbook Pro, this is what I infer from what I've seen:

• Unwanted multiple keypresses are due to failure of key bounce filtering.
  • Unintended multiple keypresses are fundamentally unrelated to debris issues, though debris (because of the tight tolerances with the butterfly mechanism) could cause changes to the actuation of the key which could cause a change to the key bounce profile of individual switches.
  • The key bounce of switches varies enough due to the manufacturing process that key switches get out the door that are out of spec, or the spec is wrong, and/or the default key bounce filtering in MacOS is not matched to the spec, especially at the minimal delay setting and the maximum repeat setting.
  • Specifically, the default key bounce filtering is hard-coded to a range which is insufficient to accommodate the variability in switch operation according to temperature, manufacturing variation, differences in actuation due to debris and typing style, and the allowable settings in the normal non-accessibility mode.
  • Key bounce is affected by the temperature of the switch, making it worse as the machine warms up.
  • Accessibility key bounce filtering (Slow Keys) is an adjustable range that is applied to the whole keyboard. The adjustability allows a non-conforming keyboard to be usable when the user is unaware of the limitations of minimum delay/maximum repeat (or if a switch is so far out of spec that even the accessibility settings can't accommodate it). However, when accessibility Slow Keys is being used, it drags in a suite of accessibility changes (repeat rate goes to 1/sec for arrow keys with no adjustability, character option menus do not fire) that make the keyboard only semi-functional at best.
  • There is no ability to "tweak" the key bounce filtering range for just the few switches of a keyboard which operate out of spec.
  • Cleaning the keyboard will cool it off, change the switch bounce profile, and possibly jiggle or clean the butterfly mechanism enough to change the actuation dynamics of the key. This will temporarily change the bounce profile of the switch. The improvement will revert due to temperature cycling and repeated actuation, re-creating the out-of-spec bounce profile.

Keypress-not-read is not an issue I've seen so far. It is likely a debris issue but there may be a situation where the bounce profile of the switch is out of spec enough (not quite enough signal upon actuation) that it won't read properly. Temperature is likely an issue here but with the opposite effect: switches probably begin working better as they get warmer. I've seen this problem with a ThinkPad.

[Edited by Host]

Jul 16, 2019 7:31 PM in response to AnthoU

Here is a way to definitively test your keyboard for physical defect, and rule out software issues, while avoiding Apple Support's request that you reinstall macOS:

1. Restart computer
  2. Immediately hold down Command and R
  3. From the Utility menu select Terminal (you may be required to enter your administrator password)

Now you are able to type into the window without any interference from your operating system. Any problems exhibited here would surely still exist after you reinstall macOS. It is because at this time you are running a special program that is outside your operating system. You are outside the Matrix.

Now pretend your afflicted keyboard key is an old school telephone with just the numbers 1 thru 9 on it. Perform this definitive test:

• Tap 1, tap 2, ..., tap 9 -- expecting to see 9 total of the key you typed on the screen, then press return.
  • Swipe East 1 to 3, 4 to 6, 7 to 9 -- expecting to see 3 total of the key you pressed on the screen, then press return.
  • Repeat the above for swipes in the South, West and North directions.
  • Repeat the above (including the above repeat) for each of your four typing fingers on the hand you would normally use to type that key*.

*Why? During this first test you probably first did it using your pointer finger. However, during real world use you are likely to be interacting with that key using a different finger. Different fingers apply different amounts of pressure on keys. That makes this test better. For me, I had a problem with the "a" key. During the first test I did not see the problem when I pounded the key head-on, staring at it and using my pointer finger. Trying again with my pinky finger (which is preferred for the "a" key!) immediately reproduced the problem.

If this test reproduces the problem then do your backups and take the Mac to the store.

MacBook Pro 15" (2018) Keyboard "t" key repeating issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.