Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" (2018) SSD Clicking sound

I received my new Macbook Pro 13" (2018 model) just a few days ago, and anytime I AirDrop or copy big files the SSD starts making sounds. Now, I have been a Macbook Pro owner for about 8 years and have never heard the computers make any sounds other than the fans kicking in. In this case it sounds like the clicking sounds an external hard drive makes when you plug it into a computer. I found someone on youtube post the sound (2018 MacBook Pro Crackling, Annoying Noise (SSD) - YouTube) and it seems like many people are having this issue. One of the commenters on this video even had their Macbook Pro exchanged 3 times and the sound has been present on all 3 machines. Wondering how to fix this or if Apple needs to recall these Macbook Pros. They are very costly and we should not have these kinds of issues with them.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 6:15 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 16, 2018 7:44 AM in response to mandee8767

Apple is not here. Apple Support Communities is a User-to-User support forum.

If other users can not help you think of a fix, No further help is likely to be forthcoming using this medium. There are no standard mechanisms for escalating problems to Apple support from here, and Apple support does NOT monitor these forums looking for trends and outstanding issues.

DO NOT "wait for Apple to provide a fix". Unless and until a large number of users present their issues through standard problem-reporting channels, Apple does not know there is a problem, and is NOT working on a fix. Being selfish is the best policy, getting yours fixed helps everyone.

If advice supplied here does not provide resolution, You must take additional steps to resolve your issues. Contact Apple support directly through one of these methods:

• contact telephone support (free for 90 days with a new Mac, of for three years with AppleCare purchase)

• make an appointment at the genius bar at an Apple-owned store for hardware evaluation and advice (free anytime, but after five years parts may no longer be available).

• initiate an Online chat

• Visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider (there may be an "evaluation fee", but if they perform any service for a fee, ask for a rebate of the evaluation fee).

Macbook Pro 13" (2018) SSD Clicking sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.