Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" Making (Electrical?) Noise - Not Fan Noise

Hi, I took delivery of a brand new MacBook Pro 16" today.

I'm struck by the amount of what sounds like computing/hard drive noise.

The machine has a 1TB SSD, so I'm surprised to hear electrical/computing noise. It's distracting.

I've read about a (resolved?) issue with fan noise and popping, but this is not fan noise.

It's more like the noise you would associate with a HDD working.

I've owned several other Mac laptops (both HDD and SSD) and never noticed noise before.

I also own an iMac and an iMac Pro - no noise from either of them.

This noise is annoying enough for me to post here for the first time.

Paid €3299 for the laptop. Would not expect to experience issues on day one considering the price paid.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing, or can anyone help?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 12:44 PM

Honestly with all the other Macs you have it sounds like you know what sounds right and what doesn't. No one here will be able to help you with this. It's best to contact Apple Support for additional help or to exchange the unit. Contact - Official Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › contact

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 30, 2020 12:42 PM in response to Sparksound

Since there is no HDD in the machine, the only other mechanical device is the fan(s). Otherwise, you hear arcing which is potentially damaging and dangerous. Turn off the computer. Contact the vendor about a replacement. In the interim I suggest you open Energy Saver preferences. Turn off Power Nap and Sleep drives when idle. Turn on the topmost item not to put the computer sleep.

There are two GPUs in the machine. One is integral while the other is discrete. Change the setting from automatic to discrete only or integral only, whichever one helps.

Apr 30, 2020 2:46 PM in response to Sparksound

If this is your sound, your MacBook Pro is not defective. The frequencies of the electrical noise in drives working this fast are just becoming audible, and even though there are no moving parts, they are not silent.

SSDs are NOT SILENT! SSD M.2 making high pitch noise or crackling/whirring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-BHI667po

May 22, 2020 6:52 AM in response to Sparksound

If this is not SDD write noise but instead "Coil Whine" noise, some users have found relief by turning off Turbo Boost with a readily-available third-party Utility. It is easy to do, and trivially easy to undo.

Turbo Boost is a "cute trick" that is invoked in small bursts when the processors' work is especially single-threaded, most processors are idle, and the processor chip is not already Hot. It can not be initiated when many processors on the chip are busy or the chip is hot. It boosts the clock speed on the first and occasionally first and second processor up to a higher clock rate, and that high frequency is where the noise comes from.

From a practical perspective, Turbo Boost is of minimal importance for getting real work done, and users who try shutting it off often do not notice any change in performance.

May 22, 2020 9:39 AM in response to wealthandnecessity

wealthandnecessity wrote:

You could do that weird hack and cripple your machine for no reason or just return it for a machine with no coil whine...

Your point about disabling a feature (you paid for) being weird is well taken. I agree that returning that computer in hopes of getting one that does not whine may be worth trying.

--------

The mechanism suggested is not a "weird hack", but a small Utility, and undo is just a simple change of setting -- it does to permanently change your machine any way, and is simple to un-Install.

When Users report no noticeable performance changes, that is hardly "crippling".

--------

if you act quickly (before the computer trial period expires) you could try the Utility, see if it provides relief, and still decide to return or refund your computer regardless of the outcome.

MacBook Pro 16" Making (Electrical?) Noise - Not Fan Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.